The G2, for many reasons, is a superb package featuring the best of LG’s smartphone technology. The features and specs of the device can make any smartphone lover crave for it. The device has been successful in securing a respectable place in the crowded market. Back in October 2013 we published a detailed tutorial to root LG G2 and install TWRP recovery on this device. Our old tutorial, however, works only on the firmware version the LG G2 was shipped with.
It has now been months since the LG G2 was launched and quite recently it received a new firmware update via OTA, bumping its software version to Android 4.2.2 It might sound outdated enough for a flagship phone because most of us were expecting KitKat at this moment. Anyways, if you have already received the new firmware update and are now looking for a way to root LG G2, we have come up with another rooting tutorial for you.
The the latest version of the old ioRoot root tool autoprime can now root the LG G2 running the latest firmware in one click and works on Windows, Mac and Linux machines.The new version of the tool has been recompiled and updated to work with all G2 variants with new ROM listed below:
- Korean LG G2 F320k with F320K20a KitKat
- Korean G2 (SKT) F320S with F320S20a ROM
- AT&T G2 D800 with ROM version D80010o
- T-Mobile G2 D801 with ROM version D80110G
- Sprint G2 LS980 with LS980ZV8 OTA and LS980ZVA
- Verizon G2 VS980 on VS98011A /12B OTA (How to Enable WiFi Tethering)
- All G2 variants with older ROM version
So, if you own an LG G2 with the firmware version mentioned above, it is just obvious that gaining root privileges on your phone has again become possible with ioRoot. In case you have been unwilling to accept the OTA update because of the fear of losing root, you can now welcome it.
Rooting an Android device voids manufacturer’s warranty. The ioRoot method for LG G2 has been tested and found working. The list of compatibility is based on the developer’s list on his XDA thread. Follow the guide at your own responsibility.
iORoot now also works on all LG G2 models with Android 4.4.2 KitKat Firmware!
- Download the ioRoot package: iorootxx.zip
- Download and install LG USB drivers on your computer if you do not have it already: Download
- Enable USB Debugging on your LG G2. If you do not know how to turn on this option on devices with Android 4.2 and above, see this guide.
Root LG G2:
- Extract the iorootxx.zip file and open the folder.
- Connect your phone to computer using USB cable.
- If you are a Windows user, double-click the root-windows.bat file. Mac and Linux users can use the “root-mac.sh” and “root-linux.sh” respectively.
- When the cmd window pops up asking you to press a key to continue, obey it.
- The rooting script will start running and when it is finished, your LG G2 will be rooted and reboot automatically.
When your phone boots up, you should see the SuperSU app in the app drawer. It indicated that your G2 has been rooted. You can verify root access on your device by installing a root app on it. There are several app in the Play Store that can check the presence of root permission on your device. We suggest using Root Checker:
Installing TWRP on G2 (Jelly Bean):
After rooting your LG G2, if you also wish to try custom ROMs and mods, you’ll have to install a custom recovery. To install TWRP on your device, please head over to this tutorial.
Installing TWRP on LG G2 (KitKat):