When it comes to pushing new software updates fast, Samsung doesn’t have a good track record. And if you own a Samsung device from a US network provider, you must be mentally prepared to wait for months before major OS updates are rolled out for your device. For the past few weeks AT&T variants of eligible Samsung Galaxy devices have been receiving the long awaited Lollipop update.
Some older devices like the AT&T Galaxy Note 3 and S4 have already received the Android Lollipop update and now the users of the AT&T Galaxy S5 has started getting the Android 5.0 OTA with build version G900AUCU3BOC4. Since it’s a major OS upgrade, the size of the OTA is as heavy as 1.4GB.
Many users have already downloaded and installed the Lollipop OTA but if you have not received the update notification from AT&T yet, you should try triggering the update manually by going to Settings> System> About device> Software update. If you still out of luck, or if you are out of the United States and want to update your AT&T Galaxy S5 SM-G900A, we’ve come up a manual method for you.
As you know, Android 5.0 Lollipop update is probably the best thing that has happened to the OS so far. The update brings a bunch of new features and improvements. Below is a short list of a few new things you’ll be able to enjoy after getting the update.
- All new Material design in the user interface.
- Smoother and more fluid performance and animations.
- Get notification cards on your lockscreen.
- Songs, photos, apps, etc. from one Android device can be immediately enjoyed across all of your Android devices.
- Priority notifications mode.
- Better battery performance and more battery saving features.
- Most frequently used Settings available with just two swipes down in the notification panel.
Install Lollipop OTA on AT&T Galaxy S5
Note: If you are unable to get Lollipop using the OTA method, you can install the stock Lollipop firmware manually. See this tutorial.
- Make sure your AT&T Galaxy S5 is 100% stock Android 4.4.4 KitKat firmware.
- Copy the OTA zip file to the external SD card of your phone.
- Enable USB Debugging on your phone as a precaution.
- Now turn off your device and reboot into the stock recovery. To do so, hold the Volume Up+Home+Power keys together while the device is switched off. As soon as you see the Samsung logo, release the Power key and keep the other two keys pressed until you see the recovery menu.
- Using the volume keys, scroll to apply update from external storage option and select it by pressing the Power key.
- Navigate to the OTA update Zip package and select it.
- Confirm installation when prompted.
- When the file is flashed, go back to the main menu and select “reboot system now” option.
Done! Now you need to wait patiently for about 5-10 minutes before your Galaxy S5 boots up and becomes usable.
Install Pre-Rooted Lollipop on AT&T Galaxy S5
If you want to enjoy root privilege on your AT&T Galaxy S5 running Android 5.0 Lollipop firmware, the following instructions would help you do that.
You can use this method regardless of what firmware or build version your phone has. However, you must be rooted to be able to use the FireFlash app! Flashing the pre-rooted firmware provided below will not trip the KNOX Warranty Void flag. The procedure given below is considered risky. Follow it on your responsibility!
- To gain root access on your AT&T Galaxy S5 running KitKat, you can try Towelroot.
- Enable USB Debugging on your Galaxy S5. This step has nothing to do with the method given below but it could be a lifesaver if anything goes wrong.
- Install Chainfire’s FireFlash app on your AT&T Galaxy S5. Since this new app is only available for beta-testers currently, go to the Google+ page and join the Android-FlashFire community. You must be signed into Google+ using the same Gmail ID that you use on the Google Play Store. Having joined the community, click the Play Store link to download FireFlash Beta app.
- Download any of the stock rooted Lollipop firmwares from below:
- Also download the Odin (v3.10.6) OA1 bootloader file: G900A_OA1_Bootloader.tar.md5
- Copy the G900A_OF3_Stock_Rooted_ROM.zip to your device.
- Before you do anything, open SuperSU app on your phone, tap the Settings tab, scroll to Enable su during boot option and enable it.
- Open the FlashFire app and “Agree” to the Terms and Conditions prompted by the app.
- Press the rounded “+” button twice to bring up the Actions menu.
- Now tap Flash Zip or OTA option and select the G900A_OF3_Stock_Rooted_ROM.zip.
- Make sure that Auto-mount is unchecked under the Options menu and press the check-mark to continue.
- From the main menu uncheck all options under EverRoot.
- Set the Reboot settings to Download.
- When all’s done, tap the Lightning bolt icon followed by OK to begin the installation.
- When the installation is finished, your device will reboot automatically into the Download Mode.
- Now connect your phone to the PC via USB cable and launch Odin.
- Click the PDA/AP button in Odin and select the G900A_OA1_Bootloader.tar.md5 file.
- Then hit the Start button to begin installation.
Your AT&T Galaxy S5 will reboot automatically. Just wait patiently for a while. Done!
Fixing Bootloop or Soft-Brick after using the FireFlash Method
As you might be knowing already, there is no method that can guarantee 100% success rate, especially in such procedures as described above. Having followed the FireFlash method, some of you might end up with a bootloop or a soft-bricked phone. Here’s what you should do to fix such issues.
→ The first thing you should try in case you got into a bootloop or find some errors after installing Lollipop is to perform a data/factory reset via stock recovery. See the below guide for details:
→ If wiping/resetting your Galaxy S5 doesn’t work for you, you should go flash the stock firmware to recover your phone and then root it again.
- Download NCE Firmware: G900A_Downgrade_to_NCE.rar
- Extract the .rar file to get the firmware file with .tar.md5 extension.
- Then use our detailed guide to install it using Odin.
- To gain root on your Galaxy S5, you can use Towelroot V3.
Enable WiFi Tethering on AT&T Galaxy S5 Running Lollipop (OC4)
- Install FireFlash app by Chainfire.
- Download the Mobile Hotspot mod file and copy the zip to your phone: G900A_OC4_TetherAddOn.zip
- Now launch FireFlash and tap the “+” icon twice to bring up the menu and then select Flash Zip or OTA option.
- Navigate to G900A_OC4_TetherAddOn.zip file and select it.
- Make sure that the Auto-mount option is not selected under Options.
- Leave the default settings under EverRoot and Reboot options untouched.
- Finally, tap the Lightning bolt icon and then tap OK.
Your phone’ screen will turn black for some time so do not panic. When it turns up, install the Tether add-on zip file and reboot your device. When your phone boots up, you’ll be able to enjoy free WiFi hotspot on your AT&T Galaxy S5 (S5 SM-G900A) running the new OC4 Lollipop firmware.