The Galaxy Tab A 8.0 belongs to Samsung’s A Series of tablets and has been there in the market for more than a year and a half now. The device was released in May 2015 with Android 5.0 Lollipop and started receiving the Marshmallow update in October last year. If you own this device with model number SM-T350/T355/SM-P350/P355 and have been looking for a way to root Galaxy Tab A 8.0 on Android Lollipop, Marshmallow or Nougat firmware, we got you covered here.
By following our detailed tutorial, you will not only be able to root your Galaxy Tab A 8.0 (SM-T350/T355/SM-P350/P355) but also install TWRP recovery in it. Having rooted your tab, you can enhance its usability through a plethora of apps and tools that require permission to function. Moreover, if you have a custom recovery installed on your device, you will be able to enjoy latest custom ROMs and mods to further enrich your experience.
Please note that this rooting guide is meant only for the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.0 only. If you are not sure about the model number of your tablet, go to Settings > About device and check it. if your device’s model is not mentioned on this page, do no proceed. We have taken utmost care in describing the steps but for a happy ending, you need to follow it carefully. And finally, a formality! Please proceed at your own responsibility.
- Install Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow on Samsung Galaxy Tab A SM-T350
- Update Samsung Galaxy Tab A SM-T355 to Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow
- Install Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow on Samsung Galaxy Tab A SM-T355Y
- Go to Settings » About phone » Build number and tap it 7 times to enable Developer options on your device. Then go back to Settings » Developer options and enable USB Debugging and OEM unlocking (if available).
- Backup your Tab’s apps, data and any important stuff stored on the internal storage as a precaution.
- Charge your device and make sure it has 70% battery level when you start.
Download TWRP and SuperSU
Download TWRP 22.214.171.124 for Lollipop Firmware
Download TWRP 126.96.36.199 for Marshmallow Firmware
Download TWRP 3.1.1-1 for Android Nougat Firmware
Download Root Package for Galaxy Tab A 8.0
CF-Auto-Root for Lollipop Firmware: sm-t350_p350_p355_cf-autoroot.tar
SuperSU for Marshmallow and Nougat Firmware: SR5-SuperSU-v2.82-SR5-20171001224502.zip
Root Galaxy Tab A 8.0 and Install TWRP (If you’ve downloaded the CF-Auto-Root file)
- Download and extract the Odin ZIP file to your Desktop.
- Copy the TWRP recovery and CF-Auto-Root (.tar/.tar.md5) files to the Odin folder.
- Boot your device into the Download mode:
- Turn off your Galaxy Tab A 8.0.
- Then press the Volume Down, Home and Power keys simultaneously until you see the warning screen. Press the Power button to confirm and enter the Download Mode.
- Connect the Tab to the computer using a USB cable. When your device is detected by Odin, the ID: COM port will turn blue.
- Now, click the AP tab and add the CF-Auto-Root file.
- Click the Start button to trigger the installation.
- When the installation is finished, you will get PASS! message in Odin and your device will reboot automatically.
- Once the CF-Auto-Root is installed on your device will have root privilege. If you want to install a custom recovery too, download the correct TWRP .tar file from above and install it using the same steps you performed while installing CF-Auto-Root.
That’s it! Your Galaxy Tab is now rooted and has TWRP recovery installed on it.
Install TWRP and Root Galaxy Tab A 8.0 (if you’ve downloaded the TWRP.tar and SuperSU.zip)
- Extract Odin3_v3.12.7.zip on your desktop.
- Copy UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.76-20160630161323.zip to your device’s storage.
- Copy or move the TWRP file to the Odin folder.
- Boot your device into the Download mode:
- Power off your Tab.
- Now press the Volume Down, Home and Power buttons together until you see the warning screen, use the Power button to confirm and enter Download Mode.
- Connect the device to the PC using a USB cable. When your device is detected by Odin, the ID: COM port will be highlighted blue.
- Click the Options tab in Odin and uncheck the Auto-Reboot option. Do not touch any other thing in Odin.
- Now, click the AP button and add the TWRP.tar file to it.
- Then hit Start to flash the file.
- When TWRP is installed, you will get PASS! message in Odin.
- You can disconnect the USB cable now. (Note: If your Tab A is running Android Lollipop or Marshmallow firmware, continue with Step 11 right below. However, if your device is on Android Nougat, jump below to “Rooting Galaxy Tab A 8.0 on Android Nougat” section below.)
- You have installed a custom recovery but to gain root privilege you need to flash the SuperSU package too.
- Now reboot your Tab A into the recovery mode by holding the Home + Volume Down + Power keys at the same time. As soon as the screen goes blank, swap the Volume Down key with Volume Up while still holding the Home + Power buttons. Keep the keys press until you enter TWRP recovery.
- Tap the Install button, locate the twrp_3.0.2-1_sm-xxx_mm_xx.tar file and select it.
- Swipe the installation confirmation slider button to install SuperaSU.
- When the file is installed, tap Reboot> System.
Wait until your Galaxy Tab A boots up. You now have root access and TWRP recovery installed on your device.
Rooting Galaxy Tab A 8.0 on Android Nougat
- Download the SystemMode SuperSU package file and copy the file to your device storage: Magisk-v15.3.zip
- Also download the no-verity file (only for Nougat firmware): no-verity-opt-encrypt-5.1.zip
- After installing the TWRP file, when the phone is still in the download mode, press and hold the Volume Down + Home + Power buttons at the same time and immediately swap to Volume Up as soon as the screen goes blank/black while still pressing the Home and Power keys. Keep the 3 keys pressed until you get into TWRP Recovery.
- Now connect your Tab (while booted in TWRP mode) to your PC and transfer no-verity-opt-encrypt-5.0.zip and Magisk-v15.3.zip files using MTP mode (via USB cable).
- Go to the main menu in TWRP and select Wipe> Format Data. After that, go back and tap the Reboot> Recovery option.
- When TWRP boots up, tap the Install button and install no-verity-opt-encrypt-5.1.zip. (Note: If your Tab is running the Marshmallow firmware, you don’t need to install “no-verity-opt-encrypt-5.1.zip” and install Magisk directly. Flash the no-verity file only if your device is running Android Nougat firmware.
- When the file is installed select the wipe cache option and then select Reboot> Recovery again.
- Now tap the Install button, locate and select Magisk-v15.3.zip and install it.
- When Magisk is installed, select the Reboot> System option.
To verify root access on your Tab A, install and run the Root Checker app: