Android Lollipop is considered to be the greatest makeover the OS has gone through so far. It was released about 5 months ago and is being pushed to eligible devices since then. While the devices from some OEMs get new updates soon after they are released by Google, the manufacturers who use customized versions of the Android UI, often take months to make the updates available for their users. If you own a carrier-branded device, it might take even more time than regular variants of a device.
As expected, the AT&T Galaxy Note 3 SM-N900A started getting the long-awaited Android 5.0 Lollipop OTA updated just a few days ago. Most of the owners of the device have already received the OTA, but if have rooted your Note 3 or live outside the US, you might not get the new software update. Some root-addicted users wait patiently and do not take OTAs until they are sure of the existence of a confirmed root method for the new firmware version.
The present tutorial will help both, those who did not get the Lollipop OTA on their AT&T Note 3 for some reason and those who want to gain root on the Android 5.0 (N900AUCUEOC1) firmware. In case you do not like the Lollipop update, you can downgrade back to NL1 or NC2. XDA senior member Walter.White has not only shared the Lollipop OTA package for the device but found a way to root it too. The instructions provided below are based on his post.
Update AT&T Note 3 by Flashing the Lollipop OTA
In order to flash the Android 5.0 Lollipop OTA package on your device, you must have the base firmware with build number N900AUCUDNL1 (Android 4.4.4) on it. You can find out the firmware version of your Note 3 by going to Settings> About. In case your device has NC2, NJ5 or any other firmware, please install the NL1 firmware first.
In case your device already has NL1 firmware, make sure it’s 100% stock. It simply means that your phone must not have root access to flash the OTA successfully.
Instructions to Flash the Lollipop OTA
Having taken care of the prerequisites mentioned above, just follow the steps given below:
- Download the Android Lollipop OTA package for AT&T Note 3: N900A_OC1_Stock(100%).zip
- Copy the OTA zip package on the external SD card of your Note 3.
- Enable USB Debugging on your device. This step has nothing to do with OTA flashing but it can be helpful in case anything goes wrong.
- Now turn off the phone and boot it into the stock recovery: hold the Volume Up + Home + Power keys simultaneously for a few seconds. As soon as you see the Samsung logo, release the Power button but keep Volume up and Home buttons pressed until you get into the Recovery Mode.
- Using the Volume keys, scroll to apply update from external storage option and press the Power button to select it.
- Navigate to N900A_OC1_Stock(100%).zip and select it.
- Confirm the installation and wait until the OTA is flashed.
- Finally, go back to the main menu in recovery and select reboot system now option.
Your AT&T Note 3 will reboot. Just wait for a few minutes till it boots up for use. You are now ready to enjoy the all-new Android Lollipop on your device.
Update AT&T Note 3 by Flashing Lollipop Firmware
If you don’t want root and your AT&T Note 3 doesn’t have the base N900AUCUDNL1 (Android 4.4.4) firmware required for installing the Lollipop OTA, you can still get Android 5.0 on your device. You can also use firmware file to restore your Note 3 from bootloop or to unroot it and return to stock. Download the Lollipop firmware from below and install it using our detailed guide.
AT&T Note 3 Lollipop Firmware: N900AUCUEOC1_N900AATTEOC1_HOME.tar.md5
Firmware Installation Tutorial: Install Stock Firmware on Samsung Galaxy Devices
Update to Lollipop + Root AT&T Note 3
- Restore your device to NC2 firmware. Download the single file NC2 firmware file from here and flash it using this tutorial.
- Go to Settings> Developer options and enable USB Debugging on your Note 3.
- Download the Towelroot app, install it and root your device on NC2.
- Install BusyBox, launch the app and tap the Install button.
- Download and install Safestrap recovery on your Note 3.
- Download the pre-rooted Lollipop and copy it to the external storage of your Note 3: SM-N900A_OC1_Lollipop_Rooted_Rom.zip
- Launch Safestrap and perform an Advanced Wipe. Wipe everything except ext-sdcard.
- Now go back to the main menu in Safestrap and select Install option.
- Navigate to SM-N900A_OC1_Lollipop_Rooted_Rom.zip and install it.
- Now return to the main menu again, tap Reboot option.
Just wait patiently while your Note 3 device boots up. You now have Android 5.0 Lollipop (OC1) firmware running on your AT&T Note 3 and the best thing, you got root privilege too! Enjoy!
How to Access Safestrap Recovery
Since Safestrap Recovery does not support Lollipop officially, here is a workaround to access it after updating your AT&T Note 3 using the Safestrap method from above.
- Long press the Power button to bring up Power Menu.
- Select Safestrap Recovery from the Reboot Menu.
- Now you can use Safestrap for purposes like backing up, restoring and flashing ROMs.
- When you are done with using Safestrap, return to the main menu and tap the Install option.
- Navigate to /sdcard/OC1_Kernel/, select SM-N900A_OC1_Kernel_Safestrap_Installer.zip and flash this file.
- Having flashed the file, you can exit Safestrap by selecting Reboot> System option.