The Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge are probably the first Samsung flagships after the Galaxy S2 to release with a single processor type running on all its variants. Before the S6, the OEM used to ship its Galaxy and Note line devices with its in-house Exynos and Qualcomm Snapdragon chipsets.
Since Samsung has used the same chip on all S6 models, things are going to be more exciting this time. In future, we’ll see mods and custom ROMs that can be installed on different models of the Galaxy S6 alike. Just a few days ago, we did a few tutorials about rooting some of the S6 models using CF-Auto-Root. Our today’s guide, however, is not about a particular device but almost all models of the Samsung Galaxy S6.
If you own any of the variants of the phone listed below, you can root your device and install a custom recovery right away. All these models have unlocked bootloaders. Since CF-Root is not available for all S6 models, we’ll be gaining root privilege on the listed models by installing the TWRP recovery using Odin and then by flashing the SuperSU package.
Supported Galaxy S6 Models
- SM-G920F (International- European)
- SM-G920I (International/Asia- India, Singapore, Australia, US, Latin America, etc.)
- SM-G9200 (China Dual SIM)
- SM-G9208 (China)
- SM-G9209 (China)
- SM-G920K (Korea)
- SM-G920L (Korea)
- SM-G920S (Korea)
- SM-G920P (Sprint)
- SM-G920T (T-Mobile)
- SM-G920R4 (US Cellular)
- SM-G920W8 (Canadian)
Note: Do not try to flash the TWRP recovery file provided below on the Verizon or AT&T models of the Samsung Galaxy S6. Both the models come with locked bootloaders!
The procedure described below is considered risky and might soft-brick your Samsung Galaxy S6. You’ll be able to restore your device only by flashing the stock firmware. To avoid any kind of mishap, follow the tutorial carefully and at your own responsibility! Also, before you make the decision to flash TWRP and root your Galaxy S6, please make sure that the stock firmware for your device model is available for download. Thus, if anything goes wrong, you can easily restore the original firmware back. Do not try the tutorial on your S6 Edge!
- Download Odin tool: Odin3_v3.10.6.zip
- Download the TWRP recovery file (with .tar extension) for your Galaxy S6:
- Also download the latest SuperSU flashable zip: UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.xx.zip
- Enable USB Debugging on your Galaxy S6: Go to Settings> About> Build number and tap it 7 times to unlock Developer options. Now return to Settings> Developer options and tick the USB Debugging.
- Install the latest Samsung USB drivers on your PC.
- Make sure your Galaxy S6 has more than 50% battery left before you jump into action.
Root Samsung Galaxy S6 and Install TWRP
Update: You can now root your Samsung Galaxy S6 without tripping the KNOX Warranty Void counter. Click here to know how you can do so.
- Copy the UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.xx.zip file to your phone.
- Now turn off your Galaxy S6 and reboot it into the Download Mode by pressing the Volume Down+Home+Power keys simultaneously for 3-5 seconds. When you see the warning screen with an exclamation sign, press the Volume up key.
- Now unzip the Odin file you downloaded above and open the extracted folder.
- Double-click Odin3-v3.10.6.exe to launch the program.
- Connect your phone to the computer using the USB cable that came with it.
- ID:COM port of Odin will be highlighted to show that your device has been detected by the tool.
- Click the AP button and select twrp-18.104.22.168-zerofxxx.img.tar file.
- Now click the Options tab in Odin and uncheck Auto Reboot option.
- Finally, click the Start button to trigger the installation.
- The installation will be finished within a few moments and you’ll get PASS! message on Odin.
- Now detach the USB cable from your Galaxy S6 and hold the Volume Down+Power buttons at the same time for about 7 seconds.
- As soon as the screen turns off/black, quickly press and hold the Volume Up+Home+Power buttons simultaneously. Remember, you have to do this before the boot screen with Samsung Galaxy S6 logo appears or your phone will reboot. Just as you see the Samsung Galaxy S6 logo, release the Power key but keep the Volume Up+Home buttons pressed until you are greeted a blue screen with while Android logo followed by TWRP menu.
- Tap the Install button in TWRP, navigate to UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.xx.zip and select it.
- Confirm the installation by swiping the slider button.
- When SuperSU is flashed, return to the main menu in TWRP and tap Reboot> System.
Done! Just wait until your Samsung Galaxy S6 boots up. Now you have a rooted S6 with TWRP recovery installed on it. You can verify root access on your phone using the Root Checker app from the Google Play Store.[googleplay url=”https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.joeykrim.rootcheck”]