The users of Android are entitled to a sense of adventure and freedom that comes after rooting the device and installing a custom recovery on it. If you have root access on your Android device, you can install apps that require root permission and thus tweak your device, customize it, get better battery life, remove bloat apps and so on. By installing a custom recovery, you can try a custom ROM and enjoy enhanced features on your device.
Having root access on an Android device and experimenting with root apps, custom mods and ROMs is really a pleasant thing. However, it’s also true that sometimes things might not turn up as expected and you might end up with a device that refuses to boot up. In such situations, restoring the stock firmware back might appear to be the only way to recover your phone. Installing the official firmware back might also prove to your last haven if you wish to unroot your phone and remove the CWM/TWRP recovery.
Restore LG G2 to Stock Firmware
If you own the LG G2 and want to restore it to stock firmware, our step-by-step tutorial will help you do that easily and safely. Below is the list of LG G2 variants models on which you can install the stock firmware using our installation guide. Before you proceed, please check your phone’s model by going to Settings> About> Model.
- Open LG G2 D802
- LG G2 D805 (Brazil, Mexico, Panama)
- AT&T G2 D800
- T-Mobile G2 D801
- Sprint G2 LS980
- Verizon G2 VS980
- Korean LG G2 F320K
- Korean LG G2 F320L
- Korean G2 (SKT) F320S
Download LG G2 Stock Firmware (.KDZ)
XDA member hyelton has made a repository of LG G2 stock firmwares. The firmwares bear .tot/.kdz extension. You can download the firmware for your LG G2 from the link below:
LG G2 D802 Firmwares: Click to Download
AT&T LG G2 D800 Firmwares: Click to Download
Sprint LG G2 LS980 Firmwares: Click to Download
T-Mobile G2 D801 Firmware: Click to Download
Verizon G2 VS980 Firmware: Click to Download
Korean LG G2 Firmwares: Click to Download
The firmware installation procedure described below has been tested and found working successfully on LG G2, still, we do not warrant that it will work fine with all users. In many cases, users’ mistake lead to failure. Follow the tutorial at your own responsibility. Also, installing the stock firmware will wipe your phone’s data. Do not forget to backup the data first. Do not flash a 16GB firmware on 32 GB model.
Before Installing Firmware, Must Backup EFS
Installing Stock Firmware on LG G2
Restore LG G2 to Stock Firmware (.KDZ Firmwares)
- Download the appropriate firmware file (link above) depending on the model number of your LG G2 and extract the ZIP (if applicable).
- Download and install LG USB Drivers on your computer: Download
- Make sure your phone has at least 70% battery juice.
- Enable USB Debugging on your device from Settings> Developers options. See the detailed guide here.
- Download LG Flash Tool and other files: LG_KDZ_FW-Update_OfflineFix.zip
- Extract the ZIP file and open the unzipped folder. It contains all the necessary tools and files.
- Also, download this ZIP and extract it: LGMOBILEAX.zip
- Now open LGMOBILEAX folder and copy its contents to C:\ProgramData\ LGMOBILEAX on your computer. The path should be as shown in the picture below. If you get “Update R&D Tool” error later, delete the contents of C:\ProgramData\ LGMOBILEAX folder and copy the new files to this folder from LGMOBILEAX you downloaded at Step 7.
- Go to C:\Windows/System32/drivers/etc folder.
- Now right click the hosts file and open it with WordPad or NotePad++ (I used the latter).
- Now add the following line at the end of the document: 127.0.0.1 csmg.lgmobile.com
- Save the changes and close the hosts file. If you are unable to edit the hosts file, do this: go to Notepad or Notepad++ program and open it as administrator on your computer, navigate to the hosts file, add 127.0.0.1 csmg.lgmobile.com at the end and save the changes.
- Open LG_KDZ_FW-Update_OfflineFix folder and install the msxml.exe file.
- Then open shttps folder and run http.
- Now start Windows Enabler and turn it on (system tray).
- Then launch UpTestEX_mod2_marwin.
- Now boot your LG G2 into Download Mode. To do this, turn off the phone, press and hold the Volume Up key and then plug the USB cable.
- As soon as your device get connected successfully LG R&D Test Tool will launch.
- Now click the folder icon at Select kdz file option and add the downloaded stock firmware with .KDZ extension.
- Then click the Normal web upgrade test button.
- You’ll see a new Read Phone Information popup window.
- Now click the Start Upgrade button.
- Just wait for a few seconds till you see another popup asking you to Select Country & Language.
- Finally, click OK to proceed with firmware installation.
- When the firmware flashing is done and your G2 boots up, do not forget to perform a factory reset. To do it, press and hold the Volume Down+Power buttons until you see the phone’s screen.
Note: This method requires all preparations (till Step 17) and files mentioned in Method 1.
- Open LG_KDZ_FW-Update_OfflineFix folder.
- R&D Test Tool window will appear.
- Select the firmware file with .KDZ extension.
- Click the Normal web upgrade test button.
- Then click Start Upgrade.
- When you see select Select Country & Language popup, select a different country than Republic of Korea.
- Firmware flashing process will start.
- Wait till it completes. Done!
Done! Your LG G2 is now running the newly installed stock firmware. Enjoy!
Restoring Firmware on AT&T/Verizon/Sprint LG G2 (.TOT Firmwares)
If you own an AT&T or Sprint LG G2, here’s how you can install the stock firmware to your phone.
- Download LG Flash Tool setup file: Setup_LGFlashTool_184.108.40.2063.exe
- Download and install the LG USB Drivers and install on your computer: Download Here
- Also, download the firmware your device from above (extract it if it is a ZIP file):
- AT&T LG G2 D800 users: Download the STOCK firmware and the DLL file both.
- Sprint LG G2 D980 users: Download the ZIP file provided on the firmware page.
- Now run the Flash Tool setup file and install it. When it is installed, do not launch it.
- Enable USB Debugging on your device from Settings> Developers options. See a detailed guide here.
- Now install the USB Drivers and reboot the computer. To ensure that the drivers have been installed correctly, put your device in Download Mode and then connect it to the PC. You can boot your device in Download Mode this way: Turn off the phone and press the Volume Up button while plugging the USB cable. In case, this method does not work, try the same procedure with holding the Volume Up and Down keys both.
- Then press Windows + X on your computer’s keyboard and select Device Manager. You should see LG phone listed under COM ports. Right-click LGE AndroidNet USB Serial Port (COM2) Then select Properties> Advanced and change the COM port to COM41. Save the changes and exit.
- When the device drivers have been set up, disconnect your LG G2.
- It’s time now to launch the LG Flash Tools, but before doing that—
- Set your computer’s date to July 2012.
- Disconnect internet connection.
- Please note that the LG Flash Tools require a registration serial key to function. You can search the web to find a working serial key for the program.
- Open the LG Flash Tool and input the key.
- Now you’ll see a dialog box.
- Click on Add button on S/W field and load the firmware file with .TOT extension. Then click the .DLL field and add the DLL file here.
- Click OK.
- Now click on the Yellow arrow button on the top left. Doing this initialize the installation process.
- When it is done, you’ll see Ready message.
- Unplug your phone now and boot it into Download Mode (see Step 5 above).
- As soon as your G2 is connected to PC via USB, it should start flashing the firmware automatically.
At the completion of the process, your AT&T/Sprint LG G2 will reboot automatically and it’ll be running the newly installed stock firmware. Enjoy!
Installing Firmware on Verizon LG G2 (.TOT)
- Download and install the LG USB Drivers on your PC: Download Here
- Also, install the LG Mobile Support Tool on your computer: B2CAppSetup.exe
- After installing the USB drivers, make sure it has been setup correctly by setting the COM port as COM41 in Windows Device manager. For detailed instructions, see the Step 6 and 7 given on the previous page of this tutorial in the AT&T and Sprint section.
- Enable USB Debugging on your device from Settings> Developers options. See detailed guide here.
- Download the firmware file for your Verizon LG G2 from the link above, or the latest 11A from here. Unzip the firmware.
- Download and install LG Flash Tool: Setup_LGFlashTool
- Download the DLL file: MegaLock.dll [mirror link]
- When LG Flash Tool is installed, do not launch it.
- Extract MegaLok.dll.zip and copy MegaLock.dll to C:\LG\LGFlashTool. Replace the old MegaLock.dll file if you have already installed LG Flash Tool on your computer.
- Now download LG Flash Device DLL file: LGVS980_20130902_LGFLASHv151.dll [mirror link]
- When the firmware is downloaded, boot your LG G2 into Download Mode. To do this, press and hold the Volume Up key and then plug the USB cable.
- Launch LG Flash Tool.
- Connect your G2 to the computer via USB cable.
- You’ll see a window with Korean language, just click on OK.
- Check the Select Manual Mode on the top.
- Click the DLL box and choose the LGVS980_20130902_LGFLASHv151.dll.
- Click the S/W box and select the firmware file with .tot extension.
- Now click the Yellow arrow button on the top left of the main window.
- The firmware installation will be triggered.
- Ignore if you see any temporary error and just wait patiently till it is finished.
- Do not close the Flash Tool window.
- Disconnect USB cable and, turn off the phone and boot it into Download Mode again by turning it on while plugging in the USB.
- Your LG G2 will restart showing firmware installation progress in percent (%).
- When all is done, reboot your phone and enjoy!
By the time you read these lines, you might have already restored your LG G2 to the stock firmware. How did things go for you? Were they easy, or did you encounter issues? Do not forget to share with us. Cheers!
Interesting Stuff for LG G2 Users
- Download Huge Collection of Themes for LG G2
- Install Custom Fonts On Android Devices
- Make Your LG G2 Perform Faster By Fixing Lag Issue
- Enjoy Louder Speaker and Headphone Volume on LG G2