The launch of a new Nexus device always a sensational thing in the world of Android as it marks a new landmark by introducing a new version of our favorite platform for mobile devices. The latest Google phone is already out for a while and has been making its way to customers worldwide. Being the latest smartphone of the Nexus family, it is packs some really awesome and a lot better specifications that its predecessor, the Nexus 4.
Nexus 5 was received by our developers community with warmth and was rooted as soon as it arrived. It has now been about a week since we shared a detailed guide on rooting, unlocking bootloader and installing a custom recovery on this phone and if you have already rooted your handset, it’s time now to reap some fruit out of it.
Among other things, Nexus 5‘s camera was one of the most hyped thing about it before its release. Sadly, after the launch of the device, its camera did not receive decent reviews as people did not find its picture quality up to par with some other flagships like the Galaxy Note 3, HTC One or Z1. The good thing is that the poor image image quality of captured photos on the Nexus 5 is a consequence of some bad software configuration and the issue has already caught the attention of Google.
While many users are still waiting for a software update that will fix the image quality of N5’s camera, XDA member Jishnu Sur has already released a mod that fixes all camera issues. Once flashed to your device, the camera mod brings striking difference. The mod not only takes the image quality to to the maximum level possible (100%), but it also enhances color reproduction, raises video and audio bitrates and lowers the image compression rate to the point of zero. The result is awesome!
Below is a comparison of two images taken with N5 from the same angle and in the same light conditions before and after flashing Jishnu’s Nexus 5 camera mod.
Nexus 5 Camera Mod: Features
- JPEG quality has been set to 100%
- Compression downed to 0%
- Picture color tuned to get best results possible
- Better color reproduction
- Audio bitrate set to the highest possible value, that is 288000kbit/s.
- Sound recording now in Stereo with the secondary Mic.
- Faster focusing for the camera.
- Front Camera also records 720P Videos@ 20 Mb/s.
- AntiBanding default set to 50Hz
- Focus Range Adjusted.
- Enhanced Smooth Zoom.
- Turned edge enhancement ON.
As any mod, Jishnu’s Nexus 5 camera mod demands the following things:
- Rooted Nexus 5
- Unlocked Bootloader
- A custom recovery like CWM or TWRP installed on the phone
If you think you device meets up these requirements, just grab the zip file from below and flash it away. In case you have not yet gained root on your Nexus 5, or if already rooted, not unlocked its bootloader and installed a third-party recovery, have patience and head over to our easy and detailed tutorial by clicking the link below:
Installing the Camera Mod on Nexus 5
- Download the camera mod file in zip and copy it to your phone: N5_Cam_V1.5.zip
- Also download the original/stock camera configuration of your phone. You can install it later in case you wish to undo the changes brought by the camera mod:
- Now turn off your phone and boot it into recovery mode: press and hold the Volume Up + Volume Down + Power buttons at the same time till the device boots into Bootloader Mode. Then using the Volume Down key, scroll to Recovery and select it using Power button.
- First of all backup your current ROM using Backup option.
- Tap the Install button and find the N5_Cam_V1.5.zip file and select it.
- You will then be asked to confirm installation. Swipe the slider button to do it.
- When the installation is done, select the Reboot> System option.
Finally, your phone will boot up normally and when it does, launch the camera and start capturing images with your phone’s camera, but this time in a far better and richer quality. Cheers!
Some Other Mods for Nexus 5: