The Galaxy S3 Mini GT-I8190 was released back in October 2012 as an economy phone with high-end features.It is a stripped down version of Samsung’s best-seller the Galaxy S3. The S3 Mini features 4.0-inch WVGA (480×800) capacitive touchscreen display, 1 GHz dual-core processor, 5 MP Auto Focus rear camera, 1GB RAM, and a 1,500 mAh battery. The device was released with Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean firmware out of the box and was later treated with Android 4.1.2.
Despite of its popularity, quite surprisingly the Galaxy S3 Mini has failed to attract due attention from our developers. As a result, even after months of its release, the device has not got the official CF-Root. If you happen to be an owner of this mini powerhouse and want to root it, here is an easy guide that will help you in achieving this goal. Usually, when we write a rooting tutorial, we post links to a rooting package and flashing it to a phone would root it. But here the procedure we are going to describe involves installing the complete official firmware with a twist. The firmware posted below is pre-rooted, that means it has SuperUser app injected inside.
Rooting your phone using this method has one great advantage- it does not give you a yellow triangle. The flash counter is not increased and thus you phone’s warranty remains intact.
Now we have a full-fledged tutorial for rooting all 3 variants of the Galaxy S3 Mini. Please check this post.
How to Install the Pre-rooted Firmware on Galaxy S3 Mini:
If you have ever flashed a stock firmware on your phone using the Odin tool, the method given below will very easy to you. However, if you are a novice, just follow the simple steps to upgrade your Galaxy S3 to Android 4.1.2 I8190XXAMA2 firmware and root it at the same time.
- Download the firmware file in zip and extract it on your desktop.
- Download the Odin firmware flasher and extract the zip: Odin3_v3.04.zip.
- Charge your phone and backup your phone’s contacts, messages, call-log, apps, etc. Backup your contacts, call-logs, messages, APNs, bookmarks, calendar, apps & games using these nice free apps.
- Go to phone Settings and turn on USB Debugging Mode from Developer Options.
- Put your phone in Download Mode: Turn off the phone. Press and hold Volume Down+Home buttons and then long press the Power key for a few seconds till the screen turns. Press the Volume Up key when prompted to enter the Download Mode.
- This is a no wipe firmware. Therefore, it will not delete any data from your phone.
- Run the Odin program by double clicking the Odin3_v3.04.exe file.
- Connect you phone to computer using the USB Cable.
- When the ID:COM port at Odin turns blue, click on PDA button and select the .tar.md5 file inside the firmware folder.
- When you are sure that everything has been done properly, click in the Start button on Odin and wait till the installation finishes. And when it is over, you will see Pass! message on Odin and your Galaxy S3 Mini will reboot automatically.
The first boot after flashing the new firmware might take up to 5 minutes, so a little patience is required. Cheers! you have not only updated your phone’s firmware to Android 4.1.2, but also rooted it. Do not forget to share with us how it went for you.