The Android 4.4.2 update has already been making its way to the LG G2 for quite some time now. Those who have accepted the coveted KitKat OTA update are now looking for a method to root it. Unfortunately, there is no root exploit available at the moment to root the LG G2 on the latest KitKat firmware. If you have been a root user and are accustomed to enjoy the benefits of root apps and custom mods, you might not be able to gain root access after getting the new software update.
Just a week ago we covered a tutorial on installing the Android 4.4.2 KitKat ROM on LG G2 D802, D800 and D801 and keeping the root privileges intact. If you own the LG G2 D802 and want to update your phone to Android 4.4.2 KitKat without losing root access and wish to keep the custom recovery too, the procedure described below is just for you.
ephumuris from XDA forums has prepared a modified ROM based on the official Open Europe KitKat firmware that contains only the System, Modem and Cust partitions. All you have to do is to install the ROM file via a custom recovery and then flash Chainfire’s SuperSU and a modded boot image to get TWRP recovery working on your LG G2 D802 with KitKat. The ROM works with both the 16GB and 32GB variants of the device.
Needless to mention that you need to have a rooted LG G2 running Jelly Bean and CWM or TWRP recovery installed on it. If you want to flash this ROM but your device does not have root and a custom recovery, you can use the following tutorial to do that:
If you have already upgraded to the stock KitKat, you can downgrade to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean by following this tutorial-
The method described in the guide below has been tested and found working successfully on LG G2 D802, yet we cannot guarantee the same for you. Follow the steps at your own responsibility.
- Download the modified ROM file: testD802 80220B EUR Open.zip
- Download modified boot image for TWRP: KK_d802.zip
- Download the latest SuperSU file: UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.93.zip
Install Android 4.4.2 KitKat ROM on LG G2
- Download and copy all three ZIP files to your phone.
- Take out your phone’s SIM card.
- Boot your device into recovery mode.
- Backup your current ROM.
- Install the ROM file. Ignore if you get failed or error message.
- Now tap the Reboot option and select Recovery.
- Then tap Mount option and select System.
- Install the KK_d802.zip file.
- Tap the Mount option again and make sure that System is checked.
- Then flash the UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.93.zip file.
- Open Wipe> Advanced wipe option and wipe Data.
- Finally, reboot the device and put the SIM back to its place.
If you notice any network related issues after installing the ROM, reboot your phone a couple of times. Enjoy your KitKat loaded LG G2 with root and custom recovery!
Fixing 4G/LTE Network Issue:
If you are not able to access 4G/LTE network after flashing the above ROM, try rebooting the device and wait for a couple of minutes. In case the problem is not solved, follow the steps given below:
- Download Root Browser app from the Play Store:
- Open the app and go to system/build.prop file and open it with editor.
- Look for “ro.telephony.default_network” and change the property value to 11 and save the changes.
- Finally, reboot your phone.
- If the problem it still there, try changing the value to 13 and reboot the device.