It is a common practice among smartphone manufacturers to make the users of their older devices wait for latest software updates. OEMs like Samsung have their main focus on dumping the smartphone market with new models and in doing so, they ignore the interests of the current loyal users. It has been about 5 months since the release of KitKat and it only occupies about 8.5 percent share of all devices running Android OS. Coming back to Samsung, there are just a few device that are privileged to get Android 4.4.2.
Expanding the KitKat update trail, Samsung now seems have recovered from its oblivion as it has started the Android 4.4.2 KitKat official firmware update for the international Samsung Galaxy Note 2 GT-N7100. Actually, the KitKat update started rolling out for the users of Galaxy Note 2 in France and it hit the Indian users just a day ago.
If you own the Samsung Note 2 and have not received the OTA update yet, it’s time to get a fresh feel by installing it manually. Just download the attached firmware file from below and update your Galaxy Note 2 GT-N7100 with the official Android 4.4.2 KitKat. Since both the available firmwares are for carrier unbranded devices, it can be installed on any Galaxy Note 2 GT-N7100 that is not locked to a carrier.
Though the Android 4.4.2 KitKat is really a big shot but after getting it on your Note 2, many of you won’t feel any great changes to make you say “wow”. Still, here are some of the new things we noticed and have listed below:
- The statusbar is now transparent and the its icons are now white.
- New camera shortcut on the lockscreen.
- The performance is now faster.
- The multitasking menu now looks terrible and some animations are removed.
- The screen now turns off with fading effect.
- New “Default applications” option in device Settings.
- GPS toggle has been replaced with a “Location” toggle.
- Samsung clock app has a new “Desk Clock” tab.
- Calculator UI change now has square/rectangular buttons.
- Settings and some other app icons have been updated.
- FM Radio UI has changed.
- Samsung KNOX security and un-downgradable bootloader.
- Many others.
How to Install
To update Galaxy Note 2 GT-N7100 with Android 4.4.2, just download the Android 4.4.2 firmware file from above, extract the zip, put the device in Download Mode, launch Odin and select the file with .tar.md5 extension in PDA/AP section on Odin. For detailed installation guide, see our firmware installation tutorial.
After upgrading to Android 4.4.2 on your Galaxy Note 2 GT-N7100, do not forget to share your thoughts about its performance, features and bugs, etc. Cheers!