Being an open source platform in nature, Android offers a lot of flexibility in customization and if you have rooted Android device, there are amazing things you can do to make the most of it. Custom ROMs, mods, getting rid of bloat apps, taking advantage of root apps, Xposed Framework modules and what not.
Just a few weeks ago, we shared a guide on rooting the Galaxy Tab A SM-T280. However, if you own the Galaxy Tab A6 LTE (SM-T285) and have been looking for a way to achieve root privilege, you’ve just landed at the right place. In this tutorial, we are going to describe the procedure to install TWRP recovery and root Samsung Galaxy Tab A6 LTE in detail so that you can easily perform the action with the least risk possible.
We have taken all care in writing the steps but a successful result depends on how you follow them. Rooting your Tab A6 LTE will void its warranty and following the tutorial incorrectly might soft-brick your device. Proceed at your own risk.
- Download Odin 3.10.7 and unzip the downloaded file. Linux and Mac users should download Heimdall instead: Link
- Install Samsung USB Drivers on your computer: Link
- Download the TWRP Recovery for Galaxy Tab A6 LTE SM-T285 and extract the zip: TWRP_3.0.2-1_SM-T285_20161124.zip | Mirror
- Download the latest SuperSU file and copy it to your device: SR2-SuperSU-v2.82-SR2-20170103215521.zip
- Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking on your Tab from Settings> Developer options (see how to enable Developer options).
- Backup the apps and data present on your Galaxy Tab (as a precaution).
- And yes, don’t forget to charge your Tab A6 to ensure at least 60% battery.
Steps to Install TWRP & Root Samsung Galaxy Tab A6 LTE SM-T285
Okay, it’s action time now. Just follow the steps below to gain root access on your Galaxy Tab A6 LTE.
- Turn off your device and boot it into the Download mode by pressing and holding the Home + Volume Down + Power buttons simultaneously for 2-3 seconds. When you see the warning screen, press the Volume Up key.
- Launch Odin by double-clicking Odin 3.10.7.exe.
- Connect your Tab A6 to the computer using a USB cable, preferably the original one.
- When your device is recognized by Odin, the ID:COM port will be highlighted.
- Now click the ‘Options’ tab on Odin and uncheck the ‘Auto Reboot’ option.
- Click the AP button in Odin and add the TWRP_3.0.2-1_SM-T285_20161124.tar.md5 file to it.
- Now click the Start button to begin the installation.
- Just ignore if you get secure check failed error after TWRP is installed and you see PASS! in Odin. Disconnect the USB cable and then press and hold the Home + Volume down + Power keys at the same time. As soon as the screen goes blank, change to Volume up while keeping the Home + Power keys pressed. Tour tab will boot into the TWRP recovery mode.
- Tap the Install button in TWRP menu, navigate to SR2-SuperSU-v2.79-SR2-20170103215521.zip and install it.
- When the file is installed, select the Reboot> System option.
- Your Tab might reboot a couple of times but at the end of the process, it should be rooted.
When your Samsung Galaxy Tab A SM-T285 boots up, it will have root privilege with TWRP Recovery installed on it. Congrats! You did it!
To verify that your Tab A has been properly rooted, you can install and run a free app called ‘Root Check’ from the Play Store.