It is known and one of the most used custom recovery on Android ranging a wide variety of devices, yes here we are talking of TWRP or TeamWin Recovery Project. Uniquely the first ever to bring touch-GUI support for Android Recovery system. And not just this, it adds up a huge list of features, packed within a few MBs.
Now, let us talk of what we’re here today for. The team recently released the latest major version update for the Recovery, which blends in the following additions and fixes:
- MTP Support- The long awaited feature for your recovery is here, you can now connect your Android to a PC in USB mode
- Command Line Support- Act on the TWRP features from command line tool rather than pressing on the touch screen
- Screen size support- From huge to tiny, TWRP now supports all the possible screen sizes
- Added support for color and fixed related errors
- Progress tracker for Backup and Restore process
- Improved handling of /misc partition
- Improved Time display for Qualcomm devices
- Theming is now simpler with allowance of variables, images and even breaking xml into parts for easier maintenance
It is important to note that, copying a zip to the root of the storage while in MTP mode in recovery is not possible. A side hand solution is to change the extension of the file, move it to the location and rename back the extension. For more details, visit the TWRP website.
Now when we’re done with introducing you to the new TWRP recovery, its time for us to guide you to Install TWRP 2.8 on Nexus and Moto Devices. The list includes Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Nexus 10, Moto E, Moto G and Moto X.
- Charge your Android to at least 60% battery level to avoid any breaks during the process
- A USB data cable with a compatible micro-mini connector
- Backup your device completely including storage, SMS, Contacts etc
- Enable USB Debugging: Click here
- Setup Android SDK: Click here
Steps To Install TWRP 2.8
- The first step is to download the TWRP recovery image file corresponding to your Android device. Click the link below and download the latest image:
- Open the folder where the .img file has been downloaded.
- Now, inside the location, press SHIFT key and right-click on an empty space. Select Open command window here from the pop-up menu that appears.
- A new CMD window shall open up.
- Connect your device to the PC via USB data cable.
- Enter the command below to reboot your device into bootloader mode:
adb reboot bootloader
- You can also do so by following the manual procedure of rebooting into bootloader mode, if you know it.
- Once the device is set in bootloader mode, type the command to confirm that the connection has been successful.
- A device ID will be displayed on doing so, if not, then go on reinstalling the device drivers.
- To start the flashing process, enter the following command:
fastboot flash recovery <filename.img>
- For example:
fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-126.96.36.199-mako.img
- This will take a few seconds to complete. And once it is, type the command below to reboot your device.
Voila! And here we’re done with Installing the latest TWRP recovery on Nexus and Moto devices. Cherish the new MTP support and other additions. Go on and flash something up! If you sense some trouble during the process, comment us here below. Since you have Installed TWRP, you might want to Install the TWRP Manager app to operate the recovery on-device.[googleplay url=”https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jmz.soft.twrpmanager&hl=en”]