Modern smartphones have proven themselves to be substitutes for several handheld gadgets. They are no more just devices to make a call and send messages. They are a technological wonder that is used for browsing the net, listening to music, watching movies, playing games, capturing pictures and videos and so on. Equipped with a plethora of sensors, they are also used as portable navigation devices.
Since smartphones and network and data oriented devices, they require a working connection to do things. Whether you are a frequent or occasional user of maps while travelling, the Google Maps is undoubtedly an indispensable tool for all. Whether you want to find the quickest route to a destination, or lost your way, the Google Maps is always there to help you, save the fact that you have a working data connection.
However, there might be situations when you are in an area with no cell connection, terrible network signal or no WiFi connection and you need the assistance of Google Maps. What would you do then? Fortunately, there is a way you can save Google Maps for offline use. Having saved certain map locations or areas on you device, you can view them later when your device is offline.
However, there are certain limitations with the saved maps on your device. Google maps features like satellite, terrain, indoor maps, and 3D buildings are not available offline. The maximum size of a map area you can download in Google Maps is 50 x 50 KM.
How to Save Google Maps for Offline Use
Actually, we are not going to tell about anything new, we are just sharing the tip. The Google Maps app has this feature built-in. Now here’s how you can save Google Maps for offline use:
- First of all, make sure your device has a working data or WiFi connection.
- Then open Google Maps app.
- Tap the search bar (at the top of the screen), type the desired location/area name and tap the search button.
- When the map for that location is loaded, pull up the place info bar.
- Now tap the Save map to use offline option. Please note that only the area visible on the map will be saved. You can zoom in or out to select a smaller or larger area of the map. Also, if you notice The on-screen map area is too large issue while trying to save the map, try to zoom in the map to select a smaller area.
- Alternatively, you can also save a specific map area using this method: Search for it and when the map shows up on the screen, type ok maps in the search area. You will see options for saving the map for that area.
- Another Tip: Open Google Maps app, tap and hold the area.location you want to save, you will see an address or drop pin. Just tap on the address and you will see Save map to use offline option.
- Okay, now give a name to the map and tap the Save button. The map for the selected area will be save to your device and you can use it later.
- To use your saved maps later, just tap the side menu button, select Your places and tap Offline maps to see and manage saved maps. If you do not find these option by sliding the menu bar, tap the person icon on the search bar in Google Maps to access offline maps.
We just hope the tips given above would help you enjoy your device better! Do you have more suggestions? Please do inform us via your valuable comments! In case you want more tips and tricks for your device or Android in general, please let us know!