Although Nexus 5 has received official Android 6.0 Marshmallow update from Google, some of you may want to try the modified stock ROMS for your device. XDA developer a_bait, has built a stock based custom ROM which has been deodexed and comes with a lot of custom features like Hells-Core kernel, Busybox, update stock Gapps, MultiROM support and more.
Not much is known about the stability and bug reports for this ROM, but it seems quite stable as it is stock based. Moreover, the ROM comes with root access too, so you can modify the system readily. For a full changelog, get to the developer page.
This is an initial release and more builds are expected with time. Meanwhile, you can test the ROM or try it as a secondary ROM if you wish. Be sure to backup everything before you proceed with the installation.
Warning: Warranty may be void if you root or install custom ROM on your device. We at DroidViews won’t be liable for any damage to your device whatsoever. We are not responsible if you brick or damage your device. Reader’s discretion is advised.
- Download | Stock Marshmallow Firmware for Google Nexus 5 (Full Deodexed) (File: Stock_MRA58K(Android6.0)_deodex.zip)
- This is a Stock Deodexed Firmware compatible with only Nexus 5. Do not try it on any other device.
- You need a Custom Recovery like TWRP installed on your Nexus 5 in order to flash a custom ROM. To Install TWRP, get to this link.
- You must have device drivers installed on your PC so that you can transfer the ROM and Google apps to your device’s storage.
- You must fully charge your device or at least to 60%, as the process may take a while.
Backup your Apps and Data
Before you proceed, make sure you backup all your data. This process will wipe all the data from your device except for the internal storage. Hence, a full backup or nandroid backup is recommended. Also backup all your internal storage files just in case anything goes wrong. Take a nandroid backup from the custom recovery before flashing the ROM.
Install Android 6.0 Marshmallow on Nexus 5
- Download the Stock Deodexed ROM from the download section.
- Now transfer the two zip files into your device’s internal storage. Place the zip file where you can easily locate it.
- Now reboot into Custom Recovery (like TWRP). To boot into TWRP, first, turn off your device and then press and hold volume down and power keys at the same time.
- Although this is optional, it’s highly recommended that you perform a nandroid backup. To backup your ROM, tap on backup option in TWRP and select the following elements: System, Data, Boot, Recovery, EFS and swipe right where appropriate, to back up.
- After performing the ROM backup, return to the TWRP main menu and tap the wipe button and select Advanced Wipe. Then select Dalvik Cache, System, Data, and Cache. Now swipe the confirmation button to back up.
- Now go back to the TWRP main menu or home screen and tap on the install option. Navigate to the ROM file and select it.
- Swipe the confirmation button to proceed with the installation. The ROM will get installed.
- Once installed, reboot to system.
When you see the boot logo, that means you have successfully installed the ROM on your device. If you come across any boot loops or face system errors, try a factory reset from the recovery or you can always restore your previous ROM from the backups. For queries, comment down below.