The Android 6.0 Marshmallow OTA updates are now available for the Nexus devices and ready to be installed. We have already informed you about the OTA updates and have framed a detailed tutorial to install them. The Nexus devices that have received these updates are the Nexus 5,6,7,9, the Nexus Player.
To install these OTA updates you would need stock recovery to apply them to the system. To solve this problem we have brought you the stock recovery images that can be installed readily.
The support to these images range from the previous Android 5.1.1 to the latest available Android 6.0 updates. You need to setup ADB and fastboot environment to install these recovery images.
- 1 How to Install Stock Recovery for Nexus 9,7,6,5 and Player
Nexus 5 stock recovery
Nexus 6 stock recovery
Nexus Player stock recovery
Nexus 9 WiFi stock recovery
Nexus 9 LTE stock recovery
Nexus 7 WiFi stock recovery
Nexus 7 LTE stock recovery
How to Install Stock Recovery for Nexus 9,7,6,5 and Player
Here is a simple tutorial to install stock recovery on your Nexus device. You need to make some some preparations first.
- Set up ADB and Fastboot on your computer. You can download the minimal ADB and fastboot tool from here (unzip it) or get the quick ADB and fastboot installer from here. For Mac or Linux OS, click here.
- Install Nexus USB Drivers on your computer.
- Open Settings> Developer options and enable USB Debugging on your device.
- Go to Developer options and enable Allow oem unlock.
- Make sure you have downloaded the suitable recovery image for your device. Now transfer them to your PC.
- Make sure you have setup ADB and fastboot on your PC. Also accept Always allow from this computer when you plug in the device for first time to enable USB Debugging.
- Now power off your device and unplug it from your PC.
- Boot into the bootloader or fastboot mode. To do so, press and hold volume down and the power button simultaneously for 5-6 seconds.
- You will see the bootloader screen. Select fastboot if such option is available. Now connect your device to the PC using a USB cable.
- Navigate to the location where you have placed the recovery file. Rename the recovery file to a simple one, like recovery.img. While the folder with recovery.img file is open, hold shift key on keyboard and right-click on an empty space and select “Open command window here” option to launch a cmd window.
- Now type the following in the command prompt to check your device connectivity
- Now flash custom recovery. Issue the following command for that.
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- The stock recovery will now be installed on your device. Now boot your phone in recovery mode. You can do this by turning your device off and then press and hold volume down and power keys at the same time. Or you can simply enter the following command.
fastboot boot recovery.img
- This will take you to the recovery and you can test your stock recovery once booted.
Now you are ready to flash the new OTA updates that have been rolling out for your Nexus device. For any queries, comment down below.