The Galaxy S3 is one of the best smartphones on the planet. If you have the international version of the device, it’s very easy to root and install a custom recovery on it. But the scene changes when it comes to rooting a Galaxy S3 from Verizon, the largest network provider in the US. Most devices from the carrier come with locked bootloader and therefore the procedure becomes a little complicated.
While the other variants of the Galaxy S3 received the Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean update months ago, the Verizon Galaxy S3 SCH-I535 lagged far behind and finally received the 4.1.2 OTA update in early March. Usually, the user is not able to receive the official updates on a rooted device and installing official firmware manually takes away the root. Thus, root and update are contradictory things.
But Android is a wonderful world of possibilities! You can install a pre-rooted stock firmware without an increment in the flash counter of your device, or install the OTA update even if your phone is rooted. And what is the better part- it’ll also preserve the root, custom recovery and unlocked bootloader! Now this is really great because it saves a lot of time, effort and risk.
If you have a rooted Verizon Galaxy S3 SCH-I535 with CWM or TWRP Recovery installed on it, you can download the appropriate OTA update package from below and install it using custom recovery. These OTA update packages are modified versions of the official releases.
Unsigned OTA Update Packages for Verizon SCH-I535
These updates are for Verizon Galaxy S3s that have been rooted, with custom recovery, unlocked bootloader, and have Google Wallet and the associated NFC libraries installed. If you did all those things to your S3 and want to apply the stock OTA updates, this is for you.
To install the CWM flashable latest Google Wallet on your phone, visit this XDA thread.
How to Install:
Please note that these OTA update packages are only meant for Verizon SCH-I535 with rooted stock TouchWiz firmware. Installing them on any other base might prove fatal to your phone.
If you have ever used ClockworkMod or TWRP recovery, installing the OTA packages should be an easy job for you. In case you are new to such things, follow the quick steps given below:
- Download the correct files from above and copy it to internal or external SD card on your phone.
- Charge your device to ensure 50% battery at least.
- Turn off phone and boot it into recovery mode: hold down Volume Up+Home+Power buttons simultaneously till you see the Samsung logo with device model. Now release the Power key but keep other two keys pressed till you enter CWM or TWRP recovery (depending on what you have on the device).
- Now scroll to “install zip from sdcard” using Volume keys and select it using the Power key.
- Select the update zip you copied to the phone in Step#1 and confirm your choice.
- Wait till installation is finished and go back to main menu.
- Go to “advanced” and “wipe dalvik cache”.
- Finally, reboot your Galaxy S3.
When the phone boots up, it should have the newly updated firmware installed on it. Enjoy!