Samsung started rolling out the Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow update for Galaxy S5 shortly after the release of its current flagship the Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge. The firmware update began to hit the international unlocked variant of the device as early as March 2016. However, as it usually happens, the carrier-branded devices, especially the ones from US operators, receive the latest software updates after many weeks and, in some cases, after months.
Since carrier operators like AT&T and Verizon are very strict about stopping their users from rooting their devices, many users ignore new software updates because they don’t want to lose root. If you remember, we posted a detailed tutorial on updating the Verizon Galaxy S5 to Lollipop and retaining root.
If you own the Galaxy S5 SM-G900V running Android Lollipop and have been enjoying root privilege on it, you must be ignoring the Marshmallow. If that is the case, here’s is a great news. Your wait is finally over because XDA member muniz_ri has come out a way to get your Verizon Galaxy S5 updated to Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow and retain root access after doing so.
The talented developer has repackaged the stock firmware as a deodexed and debloated ROM that can easily be flashed using Chainfire’s celebrated app FlashFire. You must have understood now that the method described below requires a rooted Galaxy S5 SM-G900V.
What’s New in Marshmallow for Verizon Galaxy S5
Anyway, if you unaware of the changes and improvements Marshmallow has brought over Lollipop, below is a small list of some major ones:
- The firmware version bumps to PF4 Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow
- Wifi calling
- Good lock support
- Battery improvements with Doze
- Now on tap
- New app icons
- 1 more bloat app
- Those who have taken Marshmallow OTA can easily downgrade to Lollipop (firmware version PB1).
About the ROM: Must Read
Now a few things about the ROMs provided below:
- You can flash the ROMs provided below over any firmware version or build. However, you must have root access.
- If you follow the procedure described below, the Modem, Non-hlos, System, Kernel, Recovery, and Bootloader of your Galaxy S5 will be updated.
- After installing the ROM, you’ll be able to use the WiFi tethering feature on your Verizon S5.
- You don’t need to wipe anything before flashing the ROM because the process will automatically wipe all user data on your phone. It’ll be a good thing to backup your apps and data beforehand as a precaution.
- If you choose to install the debloated version of the ROM, keep in mind that it doesn’t have any Google, most Verizon, and all Knox apps. In case you want them, you will have to install them later manually.
- If you do not already have root access, you can root your Verizon Galaxy S5 on OE1, OG5, OK3, PB1 firmwares by following the instruction given here.
I have double-checked the steps in the tutorial, I still can’t guarantee that it’s risk-proof. In most cases, it’s some mistake on the part of the users that later end up with sad faces. follow the guide at your own responsibility. Good luck!
Preparations and Downloads
- Make sure your Vzw S5 has root privilege.
- If your Verizon Galaxy S5’s bootloader is locked, unlock it first by following the instruction given on this thread.
- Download and install FlashFire app from the Google Play Store.[root] FlashFire Price: Free
- Download one of the following ROMs according to your preference:
- Download PF4 bootloader file: G900V_PF4_Bootloader.tar.md5
- Download the latest Odin from here.
- Make sure to enable USB Debugging on your Galaxy S5.
- You have Samsung USB Drivers or Samsung Kies installed on your computer.
Installation Instructions for VZW S5 with Unlocked Bootloaders
- Copy the G900V_PF4_Stock_Rooted_ROM.zip (or the deodexed and debloated version of the ROM) to your device’s internal storage on the external SD card.
- Open the FlashFire app and “Agree” to the Terms and Conditions prompted by the app.
- Press the rounded “+” button twice to bring up the Actions menu.
- Now tap Flash Zip or OTA option and select the G900V_PF4_Stock_Rooted_ROM.zip.
- Make sure that Auto-mount is unchecked under the Options menu and press the checkmark to continue.
- From the main menu uncheck all options under EverRoot.
- Set the Reboot settings to Download.
- When all’s done, tap the Lightning bolt icon followed by OK to begin the installation.
- When the installation is finished, your device will reboot automatically into the Download Mode.
- Now connect your phone to the PC via USB cable and launch Odin.
- Click the PDA/AP button in Odin and select the G900V_PF4_Bootloader.tar.md5 file.
- Then hit the Start button to begin the installation.
- Your Verizon Galaxy S5 will reboot automatically.
Please note that while going through the FlashFire steps, the screen of your phone might turn black for a while flashing the system partition. Don’t panic and be patient for some time. After flashing the bootloader file in Odin, your device will halt at the Verizon splash screen for a couple of minutes. The halt duration might extend to 10 to 15 minutes if you have flashed the deodexed and debloated version of the ROM.
Once your Galaxy S5 gets past the splash screen, you’ll be able to use your phone and enjoy Marshmallow with root privilege. Should you have any issues after going through the steps given in the tutorial, or you need any help, feel free to drop us a comment below.