Samsung has been showering update after updates to almost all its Android smartphones. For more than a month there is not a single day when the manufacturer did not come with a firmware update for one or more of the Galaxy devices. Other manufacturers should learn something from this Korean tech giant. Though the company has pushed the Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean update to most Galaxy S3 across the globe, we have stumbled upon another version of the 4.1.2 update for the device which is said to be a release to hot-fix the much talked about Samsung’s Exynos processor chip vulnerability bug.
Besides, the new update also fixes the Sudden Issue on the Galaxy S3 that is said to have crept through the previous Android 4.1.2 updates. Even if you are are not so much concerned about the Exynos Abuse, do install this firmware to save your SGS3 from dying suddenly.
This vulnerability was widely reported and caused major concern over how evil beings could exploit it to do something sinister. The new hot-fix update from Samsung is reported to close this loophole. The new update has started rolling for the United Kingdom users and consists only 21.38 MB in size and has the build number I9300XXLEA. It can be downloaded via Software Update feature on your phone: Settings> About> Software update.
Features of Jelly Bean Update for Samsung Galaxy S3:
Bug Fixes and Changes:
As for the new things brought by this update are:
- Exynos Vulnerability Abuse fixed
- Sudden Death Issue due to bug in Firmware fixed
- WiFi Connectivity issue in some cases resolved.
- Two new apps added: Play Movies & TV, and Play Books
If you are unable to update your Galaxy S3 Over-the-Air, or if you belong to some other country or region, you can download the complete firmware from the link below and flash it manually via Odin. Please remember that I9300XXELLA firmware is only meant for Samsung Galaxy S3 model number GT-I9300. It should not be tried over any other variant of the phone.
How to Install Tutorial: Link (Detailed)
- Extract the zip. You will see a file named “KIES_HOME_I9300XX_REV00_user_low_ship.tar.md5” inside the folder.
- Download and extract Odin3_v3.04.zip.
- Put your phone in Download Mode: Turn off the phone. Press and hold Volume Down+Home buttons and then long press the Power key for a few seconds till the screen turns. Press the Volume Up key when asked.
- This is a no wipe firmware. Therefore, it will not delete any data from your phone.
- Run the Odin program by double clicking the Odin3_v3.04.exe.
- Connect you phone to computer using the USB Cable.
- When the ID:COM port at Odin turns green, click on PDA button and select “KIES_HOME_I9300XX_REV00_user_low_ship.tar.md5″
- Finally, click on start button and wait for a few minutes till the installation is finished, you get a “PASS!” message, and the device reboots automatically.