The Verizon subscribers of the Samsung Galaxy S4 are getting the Android 4.4.2 KitKat update in the form of I545VRUFNG6 firmware. The update is aired in the US and it can be downloaded via the OTA update module in the S4 devices. So if you’re a Verizon S4 user, turn on your WiFi and download the latest firmware update on your device. By updating to an official firmware, you will lose all the root permissions and the custom mods which you may have installed in the older build. So you’ve to start from scratch again to get all the favorite things on your device without any restrictions.
Google had recently moved to the candy world from the Chocolate lake and the Nexus 6 and Nexus 9 are the first devices to taste the sweetest Lollipop candy. Samsung had not made any official announcement regarding the availability of the Android 5.0 on their devices, but it usually takes 2-3 months for the updates to reach for the flagship devices. Since Galaxy S4 is a little old, the Android 5.0 update might take a tad longer. So until then, you’re stuck with the chocolate build, but you get all the latest features on your device if you’re rooted and installed some mods.
In this guide, we will show you how to root your Galaxy S4 on I545VRUFNG6 and I545VRUFNK1 firmware. Follow the guide carefully as this involves a bit of flashing and using root tools, so chin up and head on to the step-by-step guide below.
This guide is intended only for the Verizon Galaxy S4 SCH-I545, not for any other device of Samsung. Be extra cautious when you choose the root firmwares as flashing wrong firmwares might result in a bricked device.
Rooting and flashing firmwares will void your device warranty either temporarily or permanently. You alone are responsible for any consequences that might occur during the process. DroidViews or any of its community members shall not be held responsible for any damage to your device.
- Charge your Galaxy S4 above 60% battery level to avoid shutdowns during the process.
- Enable USB Debugging: Link
- Install Required USB Drivers: Link
- Backup your device storage, Contacts, SMS etc. using Google Sync service or any third-party app.
- Go to Settings> About and check the build version of your phone’s firmware before proceeding.
Files for I545VRUFNG6 Firmware:
Files for I545VRUFNK1 Firmware:
Root Verizon Galaxy S4 on NG6 and NK1 Firmware
- Download and install the Towelroot app on your device.
- Download the NC5 stock kernel I545_NC5_Stock_Kernel.tar.md5, and flash it using Odin v3.09. For the detailed guide, → Click Here
- Now copy the Towelroot APK to your phone and install it. Then open the app and root your Galaxy S4 by tapping the Make it Ra1n button.
- Once the device is rooted, install I545_NG6_Stock_Kernel.tar.md5 (if your S4 is running NG6 firmware) or I545_NK1_Stock_Kernel.tar.md5 ( if your firmware build number ends with NK1) using Odin (the same way you flashed the NC5 kernel).
- Reboot the device and install Chainfire’s SuperSU app from the market. You can now enjoy root privilege on your Verizon Galaxy S4.
That’s it. Your Verizon Galaxy S4 is successfully rooted and you’re ready to use beautiful apps and mods on your device that will bring the Android 5.0 feel on your Galaxy S4.
Leave your feedback in the comments section below.