Samsung recently unveiled its latest flagship device, the Galaxy S6. Having a little flashback, we might notice that Samsung has really done a great job with the Galaxy S series lineup. In this fast-paced world, technology never settles. Day by day, we see the launch of a new Android device. The Samsung Galaxy S4, which was launched way back in April 2013, is still considered to be a high-end Android smartphone even after the launch of its two successors. The reason why many people choose Samsung over any other smartphone manufacturer is primarily because of the fact that Samsung provides the latest Android updates to its smartphones instantaneously.
In the same manner, Samsung recently pushed the Lollipop update to some variants of the Galaxy S4. The specific variant which we are concerned about in this post is the Canadian model (SGH-I337M). As you already might know, upgrading to a newer version of Android might cause in loss of root.
If you had your Galaxy S4 SGH-I337M rooted before the update, then it might have restored back to stock and might have un-rooted itself. But, if you have never rooted your Galaxy S4 SGH-I337M, and want to root it while enjoying Android 5.0.1 Lollipop firmware on it, then follow this simple guide. In today’s guide, we are going to have a look at how to root the Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-I337M (Canadian) on Android 5.0.1 Lollipop Firmware. In this guide, we’re going to have to use the CF-Auto-Root package.
So, without any further delay, let’s get right into the pre-requisites.
Obviously, you need some downloads and some pre-requisites before actually performing the root process. Make sure you set-up your Galaxy S4 SGH-I337M (Canadian) accordingly as follows.
- Download the Root package for your Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-I337M: CF-Auto-Root-jfltecan-jfltevl-sghi337m.zip.
- Download Odin: The application which you require to flash the root file on your Galaxy S4 is Odin.
- Download and install the latest Samsung USB Drivers on your Windows PC.
- To let your Computer recognize your Galaxy S4, you first need to enable USB Debugging. In order to do so, navigate to Settings> Developer Options, and enable the option. If you need a detailed guide on how to enable Developer Options on your Android device, just check out this guide : Enable Developer Settings.
- Last, but certainly not the least, make sure that your Galaxy S4’s battery is more than 60% charged, to prevent any abrupt shutdowns while in the process of rooting.
Root Galaxy S4 SGH-I337M on Lollipop
Once you have all the requirements you need, you may now start the process of rooting your Galaxy S4. Just ensure that you follow all the steps with proper caution.
- Switch off your Samsung Galaxy S4, and reboot into the Download mode. In order to do so, press and hold the Volume Down, Home and Power buttons simultaneously while your phone is switched off. Once you come across the warning message, go ahead and press the Volume Up button.
- Now, unzip CF-Auto-Root-jfltecan-jfltevl-sghi337m.zip, and open up the extracted folder on your PC.
- Launch Odin as an administrator.
- Connect your Galaxy S4 to your Computer with the USB Data Cable which came with it.
- You might now see one of the COM ports light up. This signifies that you Galaxy S4 is successfully connected to your PC. If not, try uninstalling and reinstalling the USB Drivers.
- Now click the AP button on Odin and select CF-Auto-Root-jfltecan-jfltevl-sghi337m.tar.md5.
- Lastly, hit the Start button, and wait for a minute or two.
- Wait for your Galaxy S4 to reboot.
Voila! You’ve successfully gained root access on your Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-I337M (Canadian) on Android 5.0.1 Lollipop! You can now enjoy the special privileges which only a rooted Android user can enjoy. To ensure if your Galaxy S4 has successfully been rooted, simply download this application and run it.