Another carrier bound model of the famous and powerful HTC One, have you bought it, the T-Mobile variant of the HTC One? Must be awaited to strike off its limitations, well I am sure. Its easy, we already have simple guides to Root both HTC One GSM and Sprint HTC One, so today we do the same for the T-Mobile variant.
The T-Mobile HTC One runs on Jelly Bean 4.1.2, which can be rooted pretty easily. Lets hit up with the steps.
- The Instructions are only meant for the T-Mobile variant of HTC One, don't try this on any other variant or device.
- Read and Understand the Instructions carefully before performing any actions.
- DroidViews Community or any of its member will not be responsible for any damage to your device.
Unlock Bootloader First!The steps in this guide are only applicable if you've your device's bootloader unlocked. Follow the HTCDev website to unlock it
Things To Be Done Before
- Install Android SDK
- Make sure 60% battery power to avoid uncertain shutdowns if the process goes long
- Install HTC USB Drivers or SyncManager
- Backup your device's storage, messages, contacts and calender
- Download the custom package (DV_T-Mobile-HTC-One.zip) for your T-Mobile HTC One that has all the essential files
Install CWM/TWRP/PhilZ Custom RecoveryAre you not yet aware of what a Custom Recovery is? Read this. A linux/ unix operating system employs a recovery and since Android being based on linux, also has recovery. Clockworkmod/TWRP/Philz are secondary recovery systems which adds enormous features like wiping partitions, flashing flash able .zip files like ROMs, kernels, patches etc to the stock device recovery. So, if you're interested in rooting your device, flashing a custom ROM, mods etc, you must flash a Custom Recovery first.
- Press the Volume Down and Power buttons simultaneously for 10 seconds. When the device boots, let go of the Power button for 1 second then hold it down again. Your device will now be in bootloader mode, use the volume keys to highlight Fastboot and choose it using the power button. Your device is now in Fastboot mode, ready to be flashed!
- Connect your device to the PC via USB cable, while the device is in Fastboot mode.
- Unpack the DV_T-Mobile-HTC-One.zip to your desktop or any other suitable location
- Now, open the extracted folder "DV_T-Mobile-HTC-One", press the shift key and right-click on any empty space inside the folder. Select "Open Command Prompt here" from the pop-up that appears.
- To Install CWM 6, type the following command and hit enter:
fastboot flash recovery cwm.img
- To Install TWRP, type the following command and hit enter:
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
- To Install Philz Recovery, type the following command and hit enter:
fastboot flash recovery philz.img
Root T-Mobile HTC OneRooting is a process that allows any Android smartphone/ tablet user to gain root privileges over the android subsystem. Rooting not only helps in removing carrier limitations but also serves a purpose to change, remove or install operating system. If you're interested in altering system files of your stock ROM or using apps that require admin permissions, rooting is what you need. In case you opt to use a Custom ROM, then you do not need to root your device using this method, every Custom ROM available is already rooted. Follow, only if you are willing to stick to the stock ROM.
- Download the latest SuperSU package: Download
- Connect your device to the PC via USB cable and drag the downloaded SuperSU zip to the storage.
- Disconnect the device.
- Press the Volume Down and Power buttons simultaneously for 10 seconds. When the device boots, let go of the Power button for 1 second then hold it down again. Your device will now be in bootloader mode, use the volume keys to highlight Recovery and choose it using the power button. Your device will boot itself into the Recovery mode.
- In CWM, go to install zip from sdcard > choose zip from sdcard, select the zip and tap on Yes to flash it.
- In TWRP, go to Install and select the zip, swipe the button to flash it.
- In Philz Touch, go to Install zip > Choose zip from sdcard, select the zip and tap on Yes to flash it.