The Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 SM-T211 received the Android 4.4.2 KitKat update back in July. The new update brought several new changes, improvements and bug fixes for the device. However, if you had been enjoying root access on the older Jelly Bean firmware, you must have lost root after taking the latest OTA or installing the firmware manually via Odin.
Android users who once get used to enjoying the benefits of root privilege on their device, tend to find the OS quite boring as root access gives them the freedom to install root apps, Xposed framework and modules, custom mods and ROMs. Since the old root method for the tab stopped working on the new KitKat firmware, the users of the Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 SM-T211 have been waiting for a working method for quite a while.
If you own the Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 (SM-T211 or SM-T211M), there is a good news for you as you can now gain root access by flashing Chainfire’s SuperSU package via XDA member gr8nole’s unofficial TWRP recovery. Needless to mention, you need to install the custom recovery first before flashing SuperSU. Thus, by the time you get past all steps mentioned in our tutorial below, you’ll have both, root access and TWRP installed on your Tab 3.
The tutorial works on Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 SM-T211 and SM-T211M both.
However, before you get over-excited at the prospect of gaining root access and proceed any further, we would like to warn you that the method described below are considered risky. Rooting will void the warranty of your Tab 3 7.0. Please, proceed only if you understand that the risk is all yours, not ours or that of the developer’s.
- Download Odin3 v3.09 and unzip the downloaded file: Download
- Download the TWRP Recovery files and copy it to your desktop: T211.TWRP.220.127.116.11.KK.tar.md5
- Also download the latest SuperSU flashable zip package and copy it to your device: UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.xx.zip
- Make sure you have installed Samsung USB Drivers on your computer. You can download the latest drivers here.
- Finally, enable USB Debugging on your Galaxy Tab 3. If you do not know how to do that, you can find the instructions here.
Root Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 SM-T211 and Install TWRP
Okay, if you have already gone through the preparatory steps mentioned above, you are just a few minutes away from owning a rooted Galaxy Tab 3 running Android 4.4.2 KitKat.
- Make sure you have already copied UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.xx.zip file to your device.
- Open the Odin folder and launch Odin 3.09.
- Turn off your tab and boot it into the Download mode by pressing the Volume Down + Home + Power buttons at the same time for 2-3 seconds. When you see the warning screen with a yellow exclamation sign, press the Volume Up key to boot into the Download Mode.
- Connect your device to your computer using a USB cable provided by Samsung to avoid errors.
- You’ll see “Added!!” on the Odin message box to indicate the connection between phone and Odin.
- Now uncheck the Auto Reboot option on Odin.
- Click the AP button and select T211.TWRP.18.104.22.168.KK.tar.md5 file.
- Then click the Start button.
- When TWRP recovery is installed, you will see PASS! or RESET! message on Odin.
- Now turn off your tab by pressing and holding the Power button.
- Now boot the device into Recovery Mode: press and hold the Volume Up + Home + Power buttons together till the screen turns up you see the Samsung logo, and then release the Power button but keep the Volume and Home button pressed until you see the TWRP menu.
- Tap the Install button, navigate to UPDATE-SuperSU.zip file and select it.
- Then slide the confirmation slider button to flash SuperSU on your Galaxy Tab 3.
- Finally, its time to reboot your device by selecting Reboot> System option.
Wait till your Galaxy Tab 3 boots up. Open the app drawer and look for the newly installed SuperUser app there. If you want to verify that your device has been rooted properly. Install the following app and run it.[googleplay url=”https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.joeykrim.rootcheck”]