Samsung has started rolling out the Marshmallow OTA for the Galaxy J7 series, However, if you haven’t been able to get the OTA update yet, you can install Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow update on Samsung Galaxy J7 SM-J700F manually using Odin.
Android Marshmallow is really a big update for a phone that came with Lollipop. Having installed the MM firmware, you will be able to enjoy some new features and improvements. Below is the list of some new things introduced in the Marshmallow update for the Samsung Galaxy J7:
- Better experience, improved performance, enhanced security features.
- Doze and App Standby features for better battery performance.marsh
- New app drawer with quick scrolling feature and search bar to find apps faster.
- Google Now on Tap can be enabled by pressing and holding the Home button.
- More efficient apps permissions management.
- A lot more tweaks and changes.
The firmwares linked below is meant only for SM-J700F of Samsung Galaxy J7. The steps for firmware installation described below are common to all Samsung devices and are very easy to follow. Please make all preparations before proceeding and follow every step carefully. Also, follow the guide at your own responsibility.
- Download a firmware from below and extract the zip file to get the actual firmware file with a .tar.md5 extension.
- Download Odin 3.10.7 and unzip the file.
- Install Samsung USB Drivers on your PC.
- Enable USB debugging on your Galaxy J7 by going to Settings> Developer options.
- Backup your apps and data just as a precaution.
- Charge your phone to ensure at least 60% battery level.
Looking for Marshmallow Update for Galaxy J7 SM-J700H?
Download Marshmallow Firmware for Galaxy J7 SM-J700F
Installing Marshmallow Update on Samsung Galaxy J7 SM-J700F
Having taken care of the steps described under ‘preparations’ let’s get started with installing the official Marshmallow firmware on the Galaxy J7.
- Open the Odin folder and .exe file as administrator.
- Turn off your Galaxy J7 and boot it into the Download mode: Press and hold the Volume Down + Home + Power keys together. Release the buttons when you see the warning screen and then press the Volume Up key to enter the Download mode.
- Connect your device to computer using a USB cable. When your device is connected successfully, the ID:COM port in Odin will turn blue and you’ll see “Added!!” in Odin’s log field (see the screenshot).
- Click the AP button in Odin, navigate to the location where you extracted the firmware file and select the firmware file with .tar.md5 extension.
- Click the Start button in Odin to begin the firmware installation. The installation process takes a few minutes to complete so wait patiently.
- When the firmware is installed, you will get PASS!! message on Odin and your Galaxy J7 will reboot automatically.
Done! Wasn’t it easy? You’ve successfully installed the Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow firmware on your phone.
Usually, it takes about 5-10 minutes for any Samsung device to boot up after a new firmware installation, so you need to wait until your phone get ready for use. However, if your Samsung Galaxy J7 does not boot even after 10 minutes, or you encounter issues like overheating, fast battery drain or poor performance after installing the firmware, you can fix that by performing a data factory reset via recovery mode. You can find the detailed instructions for the same in the following tutorial: