It has been more than two and half years since the Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini was released. This mini version of Samsung’s then flagship came with Android 4.4.2 Kitkat. Later it received the Android 4.4.4 and then the Android 5.1.1 Lollipop update. Usually, Android OEMs tend not to release major OS updates as soon as a phone becomes older than 2 years. The Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini has been lucky in this regard because it has not been forgotten yet. Samsung started rolling out the Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow update for the phone just a few weeks ago.
If you own the SM-G800H model of the Galaxy S5 Mini and have not received the official Marshmallow OTA yet, you must stop waiting. In our today’s tutorial, we’ll show you how you can update Galaxy S5 Mini to Android Marshmallow yourself. Just download the stock Samsung firmware from below and install it in a few easy steps.
Marshmallow is indeed a big leap from the older Lollipop in a variety of ways. The new update brings a host of new improvements and features to the Galaxy S5 Mini. If you are curious to know what Marshmallow has in store for you, just take a look at some of the major changes listed below:
- Various tweaks in the TouchWiz UI for faster and improved performance.
- Enhanced security features.
- Better app permission management gives more power to the user.
- Features like Doze and App Standby mode improve the battery performance.
- Find your apps quicker with the new search and quick scrolling feature added in the app drawer.
- Google Now can now be enabled by holding the Home button.
- Several other minor changes and improvements.
Please note that all firmwares listed below are official and are meant to be installed only on Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini SM-G800H. If you have a different model of the phone, you must find the correct firmware. The installation procedure is the same for all Samsung devices. Before proceeding to install the stock firmware, do not forget to make all preparations. Follow each step carefully for successful results. We won’t be responsible for any mishap that might take place.
Download Marshmallow Firmware for Galaxy S5 Mini SM-G800H
Didn’t find your country in the list below? Don’t worry! If your Galaxy S5 Mini is not SIM-locked to a network operator, you can install any carrier-unbranded firmware from below. We’ll add more firmwares when they are available.
- Make sure you have a compatible USB cable and a Windows computer.
- Download the appropriate firmware for the Canadian carrier your Galaxy S7 is branded to from above and extract the zip.
- Download Odin3_v3.12.3 from here and extract the zip. If you own a Mac instead, you can use Heimdall or the Java version of Odin found on the same page.
- Make sure you have the latest Samsung Kies or USB Drivers installed on your PC. In case you have Kies in your PC, make sure it’s closed while using Odin.
- Enable USB Debugging found under Settings> Developers options in your Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini. See the detailed tutorial here.
- Installing the stock firmware does not wipe any data or installed apps, but you should still backup them as a precaution.
- Also, your phone must have at least 60% battery juice left on it before you begin.
Steps to Update Galaxy S5 Mini to Android Marshmallow
Already made the preparations? Let’s install the Marshmallow firmware on Galaxy S5 Mini.
- Turn off your Galaxy S5 Mini and boot it into the Download mode. To do so, hold the Volume Down + Home buttons together and then press the Power key. As soon as you see the warning screen, release the keys. Now press the Volume Up key to enter the download mode.
- Connect your phone to the PC using the USB cable.
- Go to the Odin folder and launch Odin3_v3.12.3.exe.
- The ID:COM port in Odin will be highlighted and you’ll see “Added!” in Odin when your device is detected.
- Click the Options tab in Odin and make sure that only Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options are selected.
- Now click the AP button in Odin and select the firmware file with .tar.md5 extension.
- Then the Start button to trigger the installation.
- When the firmware is installed, you’ll see PASS! message in Odin followed by an automatic reboot.
Done! Just wait for a few minutes as your Galaxy S5 Mini might take about 5-8 minutes to reboot. Sometimes, the device doesn’t get past the Samsung logo screen. To fix this issue, perform a data factory reset via stock recovery. You can find the detailed tutorial for doing the same here.