Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge have started to receive the Marshmallow update recently. If you missed the update or haven’t received it yet you can follow our guide on How to Install Marshmallow Update on Galaxy S6/S6 Edge. If you have already updated your device, you must be waiting for our rooting guide, well your wait ends here. This article will help you install TWRP on your Galaxy S6/S6 Edge and also we will cover how to root Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge running Marshmallow firmware.
To root your Galaxy S6/S6 Edge running latest Marshmallow update you will have to install a custom kernel, SpaceX kernel by Manh_IT will help you root your device easily. You may or may not install TWRP, it is not necessary if you just want to root your device. But I would recommend you to install TWRP as it gives you freedom of installing any custom files and taking backups becomes easier. Follow the steps given below to enjoy root access on your Galaxy S6/S6 Edge running Marshmallow update.
Things You Will Need
- Galaxy S6 or Galaxy S6 Edge
- A PC
- Odin v3.10.7: Link
- SpaceX Kernel and TWRP: Link
- Samsung USB Drivers
Steps to Follow
- Download and install Usb drivers on your PC, if you don’t have them already.
- Download Odin v3.10.7 from the link given above.
- Extract Odin ZIP file.
- Open Odin v3.10.7.
- Reboot your phone in Download Mode by pressing and holding Home + Power + Volume Down buttons for few seconds after switching off your phone.
- Connect your phone to your PC, once it has booted into Download mode and wait until you get a blue sign in Odin.
- Download the SpaceX kernel from the link given above. Make sure to download the .tar.md5 file only. Also, download the file meant for your device model only.
- Add the SpaceX kernel (.tar.md5) file to AP/PDA in Odin.
- Now click Start button to begin the installation.
- Reboot your device.
- Now install SuperSU-2.67.apk (link given above) on your device to root it.
- If you want to install TWRP, download the ‘TWRP-3.0_MM_S6_by_ManhIT.tar.md5’ file for your device model file from the link given above.
- Again boot your device into Download mode as described above.
- Add TWRP-3.0_MM_S6_by_ManhIT.tar.md5 file in AP/PDA tab of Odin.
- Now click Start to install TWRP on your device.
You may boot into freshly installed TWRP recovery by pressing and holding Home + Power + Volume Up buttons for few seconds after switching off your phone. You may also flash BETA-SuperSU-v2.68-20160228150503.zip using TWRP if you don’t want to install it via SuperSU application. You can also flash the kernel using TWRP custom recovery if you wish to do so download the zip file of the kernel instead of .tar.md5.
Enjoy rooted Galaxy S6/S6 Edge on latest Marshmallow firmware. Drop down your queries in the comments section below, we will be happy to help you.