The Galaxy S6, which is Samsung’s previous flagship device and the current flagship phablet, Note 5 have performed well in the market. Both these devices have been already updated to the latest Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow along with the minor changes to TouchWiz UI. The Android 6.0.1 is one of the biggest updates these devices got from the inception and brings new lock screen interface, new animations and Samsung claims to have improved the RAM management in this update. But with the release of Galaxy S7, people usually want to try the latest goodies on their devices.
Luckily, Albe95 from XDA developers have ported the Galaxy S7 apps to the Galaxy S6 and Note 5 devices (both Standard and Edge variants). Well, it’s not the entire Samsung Galaxy S7 package but you’ll get to play with half a dozen of its apps. However, your Galaxy S6 or Note 5 must be on the latest Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow update for these apps to work on them. So, if you’ve not yet updated your device to the latest Marshmallow update, you can follow our comprehensive tutorials from the below link.
- Install Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow on Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge
The Galaxy S7’s fabled Always ON Display is not included in this package, so don’t curse us if you don’t find your favorite app in the list. The Always ON display is a bit complex and needs kernel tweaks to make it work on Galaxy S6 and Note 5. But don’t be disappointed as we have some cool stuff like the S7 Game Launcher, S7 Galaxy Labs and much more. So, without any further ado, grab the app packages and follow the below instruction to install them on your Galaxy S6 or Note 5.
- S7 Galaxy Labs → Download (Flash from TWRP)
- S7 Game Launcher → Download (Flash from TWRP)
- S7 Weather Widget → Download (Flash from TWRP)
- S7 Wallpaper Picker → Download (Flash from TWRP)
- S7 Galaxy Apps and Widget → Download (Both 6.0.1 and 5.1.1, extract the APK from the Zip and install as a normal APK)
- S7 Theme Store → Download for 6.0.1 | Download for 5.1.1 (Install as normal APK)
(In case the download links don’t work, you can get the app files from here.)
How to Install Galaxy S7 Apps on Galaxy S6 and Note 5
Some of the apps are readily available to install while the other apps are packaged in a flashable Zip format, so you can simply install them using the below steps.
- Download the apps and move it to your device’s storage.
- Boot into recovery mode on your Galaxy smartphone.
- Power off your device and wait until it’s completely turned off.
- Press and hold Power + Home + Volume Up buttons together and release them as soon as you see the Galaxy logo on the screen.
- In TWRP menu, select Install which will take you to an inbuilt file manager. Select the zip file using the file manager. (The below picture is just for reference)
- Once selecting the Zip, the recovery will ask for the confirmation. Swipe to confirm the flash.
- Similarly, flash all the apps you wish to install on your device.
- After the Zip is flashed, you’ll get an option to reboot the device or get back to the main menu. Select Reboot to boot into your device.
Note: If you don’t have TWRP, unpack the zip and put the APK in /system/priv-app/ with correct permissions (rw-r-r), then reboot. If you’re on stock ROM, delete the arm folder.
That’s it, folks. Let us know if you like the Galaxy S7 apps on your Galaxy S6 or Note 5.