The official Nougat for the international Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge is out for a while now but it’ll still take a while before the newest update is out for the Verizon S7. However, you are impatient enough not to wait for the official Nougat to make its way to your phone, you can enjoy it on your Verizon Samsung Galaxy S7 right away by installing the Nougat Beta update. Well, this update is for the Verizon S7 flat model. Since this is an OTA update there will be no loss of data. Moreover, the users will still be able to receive the future Nougat updates.
It would be likely to mention that is a beta update but still, there are no major bugs. However, the update being in beta has made the device incompatible with gear VR. This sure means that Gear VR will not work on this firmware.
Note- Make sure your device is not rooted. You need to be on Stock firmware for this update to work. This method is only for the Verizon model SM-G930V, please don’t try this on any other models. Also, the Nougat package OTA zips we have shared are official Beta releases. The good thing is, they work flawlessly and smoother than marshmallow.
- Make sure external SD card is decrypted before proceeding with this method.
- Go to Settings> About device and check your current firmware version.
- If you Verizon S7 is running on the G930VVRS4APH1 firmware, download S7Nupdate.zip and rename it as “update.zip”.
- In case your phone’s firmware version ends with PI3, download PI3_PK4update.zip and rename it as “update.zip”.
- If your S7 is on the PK4 firmware, download S7Nupdate2.zip and rename it to “update.zip”.
- Go to Settings> About device > Software info> Build number and tap it 7 times to enable Developer options. Then go back to Settings> Developer options and enable USB debugging and OEM unlocking.
How to Decrypt SD card
- Navigate to Settings> Security> Encryption.
- There is an option Decrypt device and Decrypt SD card.
- Click on the Decrypt SD card option.
- Finally, uncheck all the boxes in the next screen (For more details check the image below).
Warning: We, at DroidViews, will not be responsible for any data loss or damage you incur to your device. However, this is an OTA update so until and unless you’re a true amateur nothing can go wrong. Make sure to follow the steps correctly and carefully.
Now you don’t need to flash the OTA packages as the full stock Android Nougat firmware is available. Please head to the following link:
Steps to Install Android 7.0 Nougat on Verizon Galaxy S7
- Power off your device.
- Then, press and hold Volume Down + Home + Power button at the same time until the warning alert screen.
- Next, press the Volume Up button to boot into the Download Mode.
- After that, make sure in Current Binary it says Samsung Official and in System Status it says, Official. In case it doesn’t say “Official”, download the PH1 firmware and install it using Odin v3.11.1. (While installing the 4-file firmware package, add the file that starts with CSC in its name to the CSC field and leave the HOME_CSC file.)
- Then, reboot your phone into the System. To do so hold the Power button for 10 seconds and the device will reboot.
- Next, rename the Nougat update zip file you downloaded earlier to update.zip.
- After that, create a new folder in the root directory of your external SD card and rename it to fota.
- Copy the update.zip file to the fota folder you created earlier.
- Finally, power off your device.
- Reboot into the recovery mode. To do so, press and hold the Volume Up + Home + Power buttons at the same time until you get into the stock recovery.
- When in recovery mode, select Apply update from SDcard (use the Volume rockers to navigate and the Power button to select).
- Then, navigate to the fota folder on your external SD card and select the update.zip file.
- Finally, click Yes to apply.
If you followed the steps correctly then wait for a while and it will surely get updated to the Nougat firmware. Just wait for the process to be completed. Then, boot normally into the System by selecting the Power off option and then holding the power button again to reboot.
- If you are on PH1 then you will need to download and install all the three updates. You must do this in the consecutive order of PH1> PI3> PK4 (Ist beta)> PK4 (IInd beta).
- If you get an error of “E: footer is wrong” further followed by “E: signature verification failed” then decrypt your SD card and try again.
- The users, whose current binary and System Status are not official, will have to use Odin to flash the PH1 firmware using the PIT file and the full CSC. If you guys are having trouble finding the PIT file, check this link for the Verizon Galaxy S7 PIT file.
That’s it, guys. If you still don’t get your answers or have any queries related to this post then make sure to leave a comment below. I will reply as quickly as possible.