Samsung has been rolling out the Marshmallow update to a range of its mid-range smartphones and the Samsung Galaxy A5 is one of them. The phone was launched in December 2015 with Android Lollipop and after about a year, it has been getting the Marshmallow OTA. If you have not received this major update yet and have been looking for a way to install the Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow update on Samsung Galaxy A5 SM-A500F, here’s a step-by-step guide for you.
By installing the Marshmallow firmware manually using Odin, you can start enjoying Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow on your Samsung Galaxy A5 right away. Since the available firmwares provided below are carrier-unbranded ones, you can install them even if your country is not listed. As long as your Galaxy A5 is not SIM-locked, any of the firmwares from below will work fine with it.
What’s New in Marshmallow
- Better experience, improved performance, enhanced security features.
- Doze and App Standby features for better battery performance.
- New app drawer with quick scrolling feature and search bar to find apps faster.
- Google Now on Tap can be enabled by pressing and holding the Home button.
- More efficient apps permissions management.
- Many other tweaks and changes.
Also See: Marshmallow Update for Galaxy A5 SM-A500H
All firmwares linked below are official and installing them is pretty easy and safe if you just follow the instructions carefully and make all the preparations. We do not take any responsibility for any mishap that might take place. Follow the tutorial at your own risk.
Here’re few things you must do before attempting the firmware installation on your Galaxy A5.
- Download one of the firmwares from below and extract the downloaded zip.
- Download Odin 3.10.7 and unzip the file.
- Install Samsung USB Drivers on your PC.
- Enable USB debugging on your Samsung Galaxy A5 by going to Settings> Developer options. If you don’t find this option under phone settings, go to Settings> About> Build number and tap it 7 times to enable Developer options.
- Backup your apps and data.
- Charge your phone to ensure at least 60% battery level.
Download Marshmallow Firmware for Galaxy A5 SM-A500F
Installing Marshmallow Firmware on Samsung Galaxy A5 SM-A500F
- Open the Odin folder and run Odin3_v3.10.7.exe.
- Boot your Samsung Galaxy A5 into the Download mode. To do so, turn off your phone and then press and hold the Volume Down + Home + Power keys together. Release the buttons when you see the warning screen and then press the Volume Up key to enter the Download mode.
- Connect your device to computer using a USB cable. The ID:COM port in Odin is highlighted when a successful connection is established between your phone and the PC. You’ll also see “Added!!” in Odin’s log box.
- Now click the AP button in Odin, navigate to the firmware folder select the firmware file with .tar.md5 extension.
- Click the Start button in Odin to begin the firmware installation. The installation process takes a few minutes to complete so wait patiently.
- When the firmware is installed, you will get PASS!! message on Odin and your Galaxy A5 will reboot automatically.
Please note that after installing the firmware, it might take about 5-8 minutes for your device to boot up. Stay calm and wait until your Galaxy A5 boots up and is ready to be used. If it takes longer than 10 minutes and your phone doesn’t get past the Samsung boot logo, try a data factory reset via stock recovery to fix the issue. You can find the detailed steps to wipe data factory reset on Samsung devices here.