Google is building nightlies, is it? It feels so, the way Google has been releasing the new KitKat builds. Without any notice, recently Google released the KitKat 4.4.4, its source code to AOSP and Factory Images to the servers. While some has already recieved this update, others are still lined up and waiting. We have our instructions posted here, if you would like to Install the latest Factory Images on the Nexus 5. Installing factory image clears off your device completely, some does prefer a complete wipe while others love to preserve the data over the update. This is where the OTA update enters, and we will guide you to install Android 4.4.4 KitKat OTA Update on Nexus 5 Manually.
As per what Google has posted on AOSP, this update carries a major SSL fix and other minor improvements, finalizing KitKat’s last build (Probably). The OTA update has been captured XDA member Sucro, here. It is a minor update having approximate size of 2.45 MB.
DroidViews or any of its members shall not be held responsible for any damage to your device. Understand the risks and then proceed further.
- Completely stock KitKat KTU84M firmware and un-rooted.
- Install USB drivers. Download them here.
- A micro USB data cable
- Install Android SDK by following this guide
- Charge your Nexus 5 to at least 60% battery level
- Backup your device storage, SMS, Contacts etc in case anything goes wrong.
- Enable USB Debugging using this guide
Install Android 4.4.4 KitKat OTA Update on Nexus 5
- Download the OTA update: Download link
- Power off your Nexus 5, press the Volume Down and Power button to boot your device into fastboot/bootloader mode. Press the Volume up/down key until you see Recovery mode displayed on the screen and then using the power button select it.
- The device will reboot and show a warning screen with an Android bot on the center.
- Now, this is a bit tricky if you are doing it for the first time. Press the Power button and while holding it quickly press the Volume up button. This will boot your Nexus 5 into the stock recovery mode displaying Android system recovery <3e> text.
- Connect your Nexus 5 to the PC.
- On the device, use the volume keys to highlight apply update from ADB and press the Power button to select it.
- Open the folder where the OTA update has been downloaded. On an empty space inside that folder, press SHIFT key and right-click. A pop up menu will appear, select Open command window here.
- A new command prompt window will open, now is the time to sideload the OTA update zip to the device using ADB.
- Type in the following command in the window:
adb sideload c08cce45be6d759d6fd29480f01128b18f7d4a11.signed-hammerhead-KTU84P-from-KTU84M.c08cce45.zip
- This will take barely a few minutes to load. Once done, you will notified with a message on the screen.
- Now, select reboot system now to reboot your device.
Voila! You have just updated your Nexus 5 to KitKat 4.4.4. The process was easy, stay tuned until we get back to you with more such stuff.