Well, hello folks! We knew you were waiting for this with bated breath, and the moment has finally arrived! The Samsung Galaxy S3 was the Korean manufacturer’s 2012 flagship and it got its fair share of updates till Android 4.3 JellyBean. But we, being the humans we are (for whom the device was designed from the word Go), always expect more from a flagship device; don’t we? When Google announced the Android KitKat 4.4 update and all the perks it was supposed to bring along, most of us were left drooling and hoping. But Sammy disappointed us when update after update for other devices made it clear that the S3 was being left in the lurch. But that wasn’t the end of the story guys!
The lords finally did smile on us when Sammy released the update for the LTE version of Korean SHV-E210S, SHV-E210K and the SHV-E210L, and we knew that it was a matter of time before the GT-I9300 shall get the update-love with a port. Because well, the developer community has always been quite generous towards our Samsung devices, to say the least. And then came the time to throw our frantic impatience out of the window when XDA Senior member arter97 finally uploaded the port of the official Android 4.4.4 KitKat for our beloved I9300 devices!
Okay okay! Enough of the ramblings! Let’s start off with the main course now, shall we? But first take a look at the bugs.
- Wonky cell signal-reception
- Inability in text message transmission
- Korean language at some parts in the UI (e.g. the dialer)
- Your device must be rooted.
- A working Recovery (ClockWorkMod or Philz Recovery or similar).
- ROM zip file downloaded.
- Download the latest SuperSU files from here
- Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 or SHW-M440S
- Install Recovery (if you haven’t already).
- Copy the ROM to your SD card
- Boot up your device to Recovery
- Now perform a full data wipe of the device
- Go to ‘Install zip’, and select the ROM’s zip file on the SD card.
- After ROM installation is complete, install Super SU zip from the SD card.
- Boot-up and cheer-up!
So that’s it! You now have your device on the official Android 4.4.4 KitKat firmware. Nah, you are welcome, don’t mention it!
We would keep adding more developments and screenshots of the official Android 4.4.4 ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S3!