We have already published a tutorial on rooting the Samsung Galaxy Ace before but that described a different method and was using SuperOneClick and stock recovery. Quite recently we discovered another method that is much easier and involves the use of Odin Multi-Downloader. Yes, you heard right! You can now root and flash ClockworkMod Recovery on you Glaxy Ace S5830 via Odin.
Having flashed the recovery file on you your phone, you will be able to install some good apps that require root permission and also yo can install a good custom ROM of your choice to enhance the productivity of you Galaxy Ace S5830. Please note that the procedure described here applies only to the phone model in discussion. Please do not try it on any other variant of the Galaxy Ace. Moreover, it is our duty to warn you that the procedure given blow is considered risky so proceed at your own risk. However, if you are careful enough and stick to the rules, there is no chance that you get into any problem.
Also, make sure your phone is on GingerBread 2.3 and above firmware. If you are not sure what version your device is on, go to Settings> About> and check the version there.
Here are a few resources and precautions that you need to download and take care of before doing anything.
- Download the Rooting Package and copy it to your phone’s SD card. Do not extract the zip: Root Zip
- Download Odin Multi Downloader: Odin Multi Downloader v4.38.exe
- Download Cooper_v1.0.ops file for the Galaxy Ace S5830.
- Download ClockworkMod Recovery 5.0 to be installed using Odin: cwm-recovery-ace.tar.md5
- If the above CWM does not work for you, install the following file and install it via Stock Recovery first and then install the Root.zip file: recovery-clockwork-188.8.131.52-galaxy ace.zip
- Download and install Samsung USB Drivers on your computer if it is not installed already.
- Charge your phone to at least 70% of battery level.
- Turn on USB Debugging from Settings > Applications> Development
- Backup your contacts, message, apps, etc. Backup your contacts, call-logs, messages, APNs, bookmarks, calendar, apps & games using these nice free apps.
Root Galaxy Ace S5830:
- Make sure you have copied the Root.zip to the SD card of your phone. Also, remember the path and directory where you have put it.
- Turn your phone off and boot it into Recovery mode. To do that, press and hold Home (center)+Power buttons together. When the screen turns on and you see the Samsung logo, release the Power key but keep the Home key pressed. After the Galaxy Ace logo shows up and disappears, you should enter recovery mode. You can now release the Home button too.
- Now in recovery mode, you can scroll up and down using the Volume keys and select an option using the Home button.
- Scroll to the second option “apply update from sdcard” and press Home to select.
- Navigate to the Root.zip file and select it.
- When it is installed, select “reboot system now” and wait for the phone to reboot.
- To check if your phone is rooted, go to you app drawer and look for an app called superuser with an icon of a pirate android with crossbones. If you see it, your phone is rooted.
When it boots up, you can download and install the RootChecker app from the Play Store to verify the root.
Install CWM Recovery on Galaxy Ace S5830:
- Run the S5830 Odin Multi Downloader v4.38.exe program
- When it is launched, check the three boxes, namely “One Package”, “Auto Reboot”, and “Protect OPS” as shown in the image below.
- Turn off you phone and boot it into Download mode: press and hold the Volume Down + Home buttons, then long press the Power key till the your phone’s screen turns up and you see the Download mode screen. Press the volume up when prompted.
- Connect the phone to computer using a USB cable.
- Then click on the OPS button and select the “Cooper_v1.0.ops” file.
- Click on the “One Package” button below and select the “cwm-recovery-ace.tar.md5” file.
- Finally, when Odin show you that the device click on the “Start” button.
- When the CWM Recovery is installed on your Galaxy Ace, Odin will give you a PASS! message.
- Then your phone will reboot automatically. Now you can disconnect the USB cable.
You can use this CWM Manager.apk for managing the CWM recovery on your phone.
Now your phone has been rooted with CWM Recovery installed on it. Do not forget to share with us how it went for you. If you wish to install a good custom ROM on your Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830, we have hand-picked some of the best ones for you.
- Best Android 4.1 / 4.2 Jelly Bean ROMs For Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830
- Install SGS3 Styled ROM On Samsung Galaxy Ace GT-S5830
- Install IOS 5 Style ROM On Samsung Galaxy Ace GT-S5830
- Follow all topics on the Galaxy Ace S5830