Just a day ago, we shared the Marshmallow update tutorial for the Galaxy J5 SM-J500M and today we are here with a step-by-step guide for the Galaxy J5 SM-J500H Marshmallow update for you. The device originally came with Android 5.0.1 Lollipop when it was released 2 years ago in June 2015 and now it has been receiving the latest, and probably its last major, OS upgrade.
Samsung has already rolled out the Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow OTA update for the Galaxy J5 SM-J500H in countries like Russia, Germany, Uzbekistan, Bangladesh, Iraq, Kazakhstan, etc. If you belong to some other country that is not listed above, you can start enjoying Android Marshmallow on your Galaxy J5 without waiting for the OTA by installing the Marshmallow firmware manually using Odin.
Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow is a very important update that brings a host of new features, improvements, and tweaks to the user interface. Besides, it also improves system performance and enhances security. Thanks to the new efficient power management that improves battery life using Doze and App Standby features that stop most background services and network connection when they are not in use. Moreover, Marshmallow extends more power to the user by allowing us to manage 3rd-party app permissions.
The firmware provided below is meant only for Samsung Galaxy J5 SM-J500H. Please, follow the tutorial carefully, make all preparations mentioned below, and don’t hesitate to clear your doubts if you have any. Follow the guide at your own responsibility.
Download Marshmallow Firmware for Galaxy J5 SM-J500H
- Model number: Samsung Galaxy J5 (SM-J500H)
- OS Version: Android 6.0.1 (Marshmallow)
- PDA: J500HXXU1BPG8
- Phone: J500HOXE1BPG8
- CSC: more than one. The CSC is mentioned in the firmware names.
- Release Date: August 27, 2016
Note: All the firmware listed below are unbranded ones. It means that they can be installed on any Samsung Galaxy J5 (SM-J500H) that is not SIM-locked regardless of country or region. For example, if you are from India or the United Kingdom, you can install any firmware from below. All firmware have the English language.
If your country is not listed above, you can download the latest firmware for your Samsung device using Frija firmware tool.
- Extract the downloaded firmware zip using a Zip extractor to get the actual firmware file with .tar.md5 extension.
- Download Odin 3.10.7 and extract the zip.
- Install Samsung USB Drivers on your PC. Skip this step if you have them already installed on your computer.
- Enable USB debugging by going to Settings> Developers options on your Galaxy J5 SM-SM-J500H.
- Backup your data and apps as a precaution.
- Ensure the phone is properly charged (at least 60%).
Steps to Update Galaxy J5 SM-J500H to Marshmallow
- Extract the Odin.zip file, open the extracted folder and launch Odin 3.10.7.exe as an admin.
- Boot your Samsung Galaxy J5 into the Download mode: turn it off and then press and hold the Volume Down + Home + Power buttons simultaneously for about 2-3 seconds. Keep the keys pressed until you see the warning screen with yellow exclamation mark. Now release the keys and then press the Volume Up key to get into the Download Mode.
- Connect your device to the PC using the stock USB cable that came with your phone. When your device is detected by the computer, the ID:COM port in Odin will turn blue and you’ll see “Added!!” in Odin’s log box.
- Now click the AP button in Odin and add the firmware file with .tar.md5 extension.
- Click the Start button to start the firmware installation. and wait patiently while the firmware is being installed.
- When the firmware is installed, you will get PASS! message on Odin.
- After that, your Galaxy J5 (SM-J500H) will reboot automatically.
The first boot after the firmware installation usually takes about 5-10 minutes so you need to have some patience. When your phone boots up, you will be able to enjoy the newly installed Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow on your Galaxy J5 SM-J500H.
If your device doesn’t boot properly even after 10 minutes, follow the instruction given in the following tutorial and perform a data factory reset.
If you need any help, please let us know via comments.