Carrier locked devices are very tough shells to crack and thus many carrier locked devices won’t have a bootloader unlock method. The Verizon Galaxy Note 4 also comes under the same category where the bootloader was not unlockable. Lucky for Verizon Galaxy Note 4 users, the bootloader unlock method is now available for the device. So, you can now install and use custom recoveries like TWRP and use it to flash awesome custom ROMs and mods. The credit goes to ryanbg of XDA for sharing this useful method.
Many users in the XDA developer forum have confirmed the exploit working and they were able to unlock the bootloader. The exploit is working on Verizon Note 4 running Android 5.1.1 Lollipop and a permanent root and TWRP is also achieved. Before proceeding with the tutorial, you need to have root permissions on your device to install some scripts to unlock the bootloader. You can easily root your device by using our tutorial from here or you can simply use Kingroot 4.8.5 to gain temporary root access.
You also need an SDcard in your device which will be formatted during the process, so make sure you don’t have any important data on the SDcard. It’s better to take a full backup of the SDcard to prevent any data loss. Also, you must disable the reactivation lock to avoid any issues. And finally, your device CID should start with 15, else the process won’t work. You can check using the eMMC app. If you’re all set, let’s start with the tutorial.
- Charge your Galaxy Note 4 above 60% battery level to avoid shutdowns during the process.
- Enable USB Debugging: Link
- Install Required USB Drivers: Link
- Backup your device storage, Contacts, SMS etc. using Google Sync service or any third-party app.
- Install ADB on your PC. You can follow our comprehensive tutorial from Here.
- Download the latest Odin tool Odin3_v3.10.6.zip. You can also download the older Odin version from Here
- Download samsung_unlock_n4-2 script → Download | Mirror
- Download samsung_unlock_n4-2 fix→ Download
- Download TWRP for Verizon Note 4 (Use .tar file) → Download
How to Unlock Bootloader on Verizon Galaxy Note 4
- Download the samsung_unlock_n4-2 scipt and place it in the same folder where you have the ADB tools installed.
- Navigate to the ADB files folder and open a command prompt inside the folder by pressing Shift key + Right-click in the empty space inside the folder, and select Open command window here option from the Windows context menu.
- In the command prompt, use the below command to transfer the unlock file to the temporary location in the device.
adb push samsung_unlock_n4-2 /data/local/tmp/
- Now, use the below command to open ADB shell on your PC.
- To gain the root permission on your device, enter the below command. Make sure you grant the r SuperSU permission on your device to get the root access.
- Now enter the below commands one by one to set the correct permissions and ownership for the unlock file.
chmod 777 samsung_unlock_n4-2
chown root.root samsung_unlock_n4-2
- Now, run the below command to execute the script.
You’ll see the below warning banner after running the above script. Read it carefully.
[+] CID at boot time is/was: 1501xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [+] device not yet dev CID, now changing to dev CID [+] programming new CID 150100523231384d4100657e54fc1200 [+] success! powering off device, power back on and verify CID [+] then run this binary again to finish the process
Note: If you’re facing any issues like “this is for Samsung devices only error,” use the samsung_unlock_n4-2 fix script and run it using the same process defined above.
- As stated, the CID of your device will change after the reboot. The device will be powered off automatically after running the script. Before turning it on, make sure you placed the SDcard on your device. Once the device boots up, follow the steps 3-7 again. This will unlock the bootloader on your device.
- Pull the SDcard and keep it safe as it contains the loader files which will help fix your device in case of any brick.
- Now, enter into download mode on your device. To do this:
- Power off your phone first.
- Press and hold Volume Down + Power + Home together until you seeWarning screen with Android logo.
- Press Volume Up now to continue to Download Mode.
- Flash the TWRP file from Odin tool. You can follow our Odin flashing guide from here.
- Once installed, boot into recovery mode by pressing “Volume Up+ Power + Home” buttons together and take a nandroid backup of your device.
- You can now obtain root access on your device by flashing SuperSu zip from TWRP or you can use CF Auto Root method using this tutorial.
So, after this long process, you’ll have a Verizon Note 4 with an unlocked bootloader, rooted and TWRP installed. If you have any issues, feel free to ask us in the comments section below.