Many of you might not agree but rooting is one great thing about Android and if you have been using your phone without having root access on it, you got to believe that you have been missing on of the nicest things. If you want to use your phone making the most out of it, rooting is just the easiest solution.
You might ask why I am talking high of rooting! If you have a rooted Android device you can enhance its features, install custom ROMs and mods, get rid of unwanted apps, backup your ROM, install apps that require root to improve the usability of you device and so on. We already have rooting tutorial for almost all variants of the Galaxy S4 and today we are back with another guide that will help you root US Cellular Galaxy S4 SCH-R970.
So if you own this phone and have made up your mind to root it, you can follow the easy steps given below and do it in a few minutes. But before you proceed, let me warn you that our OEMs consider rooting as a technical blasphemy and therefore, if you indulge in any such activity, they might withdraw the warranty claim. Besides, the procedure described here can soft-brick your device if the steps are not followed carefully. In any such situations, we’ll always be here to assist you the best way possible but we would not like to be held responsible for any mishap. Sorry for that!
To root your US Cellular Galaxy S4 SCH-R970 on Android 4.4.2 KitKat, use Geohot’s TowelRoot app.
Preparations before Rooting:
- Download the CF-Auto Root package: CF-Auto-Root-jflteusc-jflteusc-schr970.zip
- Download and install Samsung USB Drivers or Kies on your computer: Download
- Turn on USB Debugging mode on your device from Setting> More> Developer options. If you do not find the Developer options, see how to enable it here.
Root US Cellular Galaxy S4 SCH-R970:
As I said, rooting any Galaxy device with CF Root via Odin is very easy. Here are the steps to root your U.S. Cellular Galaxy S4 SCH-R970:
- Extract the CF-Auto Root zip file on your desktop and launch the Odin3 1.85 found inside the extracted folder.
- Turn off your device and boot it into Download mode. To do this, hold Volume Down, Home and Power buttons together for a few seconds till you see a warning screen. Now press the Volume Up key to enter the Download Mode.
- Connect your phone to PC using a USB cable and wait till the ID:COM port at Odin turns Yellow to indicate successful connection with the device.
- Now click on the PDA button and select the “CF-Auto-Root-jflteusc-jflteusc-schr970.tar.md5” file.
- Do not touch anything else on Odin and click the Start button.
- The rooting package will be installed on your phone in just a few seconds and then you will see PASS! message on Odin.
- Your Galaxy S4 will now reboot automatically and it is time now to disconnect the USB cable.
When your phone boots up, you’ll see “Android is upgrading…” message on the screen. When you see the lockscreen, go to app store and look for the SuperSU app there. The presence of this app indicates that your Galaxy S4 SCH-R970 has been rooted. To further verify the root, install the Root Checker app from the market and run it.
[appbox googleplay com.joeykrim.rootcheck]
How to Install CWM/TWRP Recovery on SCH-R970:
Having rooted your U.S. Cellular Galaxy S4 SCH-R970, if you also wish to try custom ROMs on your device, you should also install a custom recovery like ClockworkMod or TWRP recovery on it. The best and easiest way to root your phone is via apps like ROM Manager (for CWM) or Goo Manager (for TWRP). Just install these apps and install your favorite recovery tool from there.
Root US Cellular Galaxy S4 in One Click
If the above method does not work for you, there are a couple of more methods that can root your Galaxy S4 SCH-R970 running Android 4.2.2/4.3 easily in a single click: