Samsung has been rolling out the Marshmallow update for a number of its devices and the Samsung Galaxy Tab A tablet series is one of them. Released back in 2015 with Android Lollipop, the Tab A did not receive any major OS update since. Just a few day ago, we did a Marshmallow update tutorial for the SM-T350 model of the device. Our today’s guide will describe the detailed steps to update Samsung Galaxy Tab A SM-T355 to the latest Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow firmware.
Since the official Marshmallow OTA is available only in select countries only you can download the stock firmware from below and install it manually using Odin. In case you have rooted your tablet, you might get the official OTA. If that is the case, the manual upgrade method described below might prove useful to you.
Here’s a list of some of the new features you’ll be able to enjoy after installing the Marshmallow firmware on your Galaxy Tab A SM-T355.
- Several bug fixes found on the Lollipop firmware.
- Better user experience
- Improved performance.
- Enhanced security features.
- Quick scrolling and search feature in the app drawer.
- Google Now on Tap can be enabled holding the Home button.
- Better battery performance through Doze and App Standby features.
- Better management of apps permissions.
- Many other changes in the UI.
The following firmwares are meant only for SM-T355 model of the Galaxy Tab A 8.0. You can find your device’s model from Settings> About device. Make sure to make all preparations mentioned below before proceeding to install the firmware. As long as you are careful with the steps, everything will go well without hiccups.
Download Marshmallow Firmware for Galaxy Tab A 8.0 SM-T355
Please note that you can update your Galaxy Tab A SM-T355 to Android Marshmallow even your country is not listed below. Just make sure that you Tab A is not carrier branded and if it’s so, you can install any unbranded firmware from below and start enjoying the latest update.
Saudi Arabia: T355XXU1BPF1_T355OJV1BPF1-KSA.zip
More firmwares and mirrors will be added as soon as they are available.
- Download the firmware file from above and unzip the downloaded file on your desktop.
- Also download Odin 3.10.7 and extract the zip.
- Install the latest Samsung USB Drivers on your PC.
- Also, go to Settings> Developers options on your device and enable USB Debugging.
- Backup your data and installed apps as a precaution because sometimes you need to perform a hard reset after installing a new firmware to fix boot loop.
- Ensure your Galaxy Tab A’s battery is amply charged to 60% level at least.
Update Samsung Galaxy Tab A SM-T355 to Marshmallow
Having downloaded the firmware, Odin and making all preparations, all you need is to follow the installation steps to get Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow on your Tab A.
- Open the extracted Odin folder and launch Odin 3.10.7.exe.
- Boot your Galaxy Tab A into the Download mode: turn it off and then press and hold the Volume Down + Home + Power buttons at the same time. Keep the keys pressed until you see the warning screen. Now press the Volume Up key to enter the Download or Odin Mode.
- Now connect your Galaxy Tab A to the computer using the stock USB cable that came with your phone. When your device is detected by the PC, the ID:COM port in Odin will turn blue and you’ll see “Added!!” in Odin’s log box (see the screenshot).
- Now click the AP button in Odin, navigate to the firmware folder and select the firmware file with .tar.md5 extension.
- Finally, click the Start button in Odin to begin the firmware installation.
- When the installation is finished, you will get PASS! message on Odin and your Samsung Galaxy Tab A will reboot automatically.
It might take about 5-10 minutes for your Tab A to boot up for the first time after the firmware installation, so wait patiently. In case the device is stuck on the boot logo, please follow the steps given in the following tutorial:
If you got a question or need help, please, let us know via comments!