Take it for a Christmas Gift from Motorola to its original Droid RAZR and Droid RAZR MAXX. The long awaited software update for these Droid RAZR duo has finally hit the scene. The users of these phones have been reporting that they have got an Android 4.1.2 firmware OTA update notification. Many of got the update too, but later the OTA update file was removed from Motorola servers for some unknown reasons. So, it came stealthily from nowhere and went to somewhere. Was is just a Christmas Offer (LOL)?
Earlier this month, the new line of Motorola Droid phones, including Droid RAZR HD and Droid RAZR MAXX HD, received the Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean update. And now it’s you turn! If you are one who missed the OTA update and the taste of Jelly Bean, you can download the firmware update package from the link below and install it manually as instructed. The update will bump up the software version of these phones to version 98.72.8.
Though Verizon has not posted the official documentation for Jelly Bean update on its website, but we all know well now what the update has in store for us. Having upgraded your Droid RAZR HD and RAZR MAXX HD to Android 4.1.2, you will be able to experience some cool features like Google Now, smooth user interface (thanks to the Project Butter), new Notifications Center, Swype like keyboard, re-sizable widgets and more.
Download and How to Install:
To install the Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean update package manually to your phone, follow the instructions given below.
- Download the Android 4.1.2 update package: Blur_Version.6.16.211.XT912.Verizon.en.US.zip (do not extract).
- In case your device is rooted, then you will have to download the OTA Root keeper app from the Play Store and install it on your device.
- Run the OTA Rootkeeper on your RAZR and select the “Protect Rootbutton”. Now select the “Temp Unroot” option before you start flashing procedure. (Step 2 and 3 are only for those who have a rooted device.
- Copy the update zip package to your phone’s SD Card by connection it to your computer via USB cable.
- Turn of your phone and boot it into Recovery mode. To do this, press and hold both Volume Up and Volume Down keys then press the Power key to access Bootloader. Use Volume Down key to scroll the cursor onto “Recovery” then use Volume Up key to confirm to access official Recovery. Use Volume Down or UP key to scroll menu and Power key to confirm.
- Now you may see RED Motorola logo, wait a moment till you see the android robot with “!” triangle, please press both Volume Up and Volume Down key to access Recovery Menu. Now you can see Blue Recovery menu.
- When you are in the Recovery, select “install update from external storage”, go to the update file and select it.
- It will take a few minutes for the update to be installed.
When it is finished, go back and reboot the phone. The first boot might take a few minutes, therefore, a little patience is required. When your device boots up, it should have Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean. You can confirm it from Settings> About.
via: android central and xda