Recently we covered a guide to Update Moto E to KitKat 4.4.4 and now here is another for one of the three new Moto sets. Moto G is the mid-budget smartphone by Motorola serving with a Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 1.2 GHz Quad-core processing unit, Adren 305 GPU, a 4.5” HD Corning Gorilla Glass display and many more extraordinary features. It is for no excuse, the worth of money and has already sold out countless units all over the world, taking over the mid-budget smartphone market.
Moto G has also been released to the public as a Google Play Edition, which comes with KitKat 4.4.2 and on the latest has been updated to Android 4.4.4 KitKat. The update started to roll out yesterday night and is definitely gonna take sufficient time to reach out to everyone. Yet, if you do not hold a stretch to patients like me? you can follow this guide. The OTA update has been captured by XDA member salxs and we here will help you to update Moto G GPe to KitKat 4.4.4 by installing the OTA update manually using the stock recovery.
Installing the update manually or unlocking the bootloader might risk your device stability. DroidViews or any of its community members shall not be held responsible for any damage to your device.
Before you proceed any further, you should complete a set of requirements to ease out the process.
» Install Motorola drivers: Click here
» Enable USB Debugging, detailed steps could be found here.
» Install Android SDK: Click here
» Charge your Moto G to at least 60% battery level
» Backup everything, this includes your storage, SMS, Contacts etc.
» Stock KOT49H ROM and recovery installed.
Update Moto G GPe to KitKat 4.4.4
- Download the OTA update zip file (Approx 162 MB): Click here
- Power off your Moto G completely. Press the Volume Up + Volume Down + Power keys altogether until you see the boot mode screen.
- Now, using the volume keys, scroll and highlight Recovery. Select it by pressing the Power button.
- A warning Android logo will be displayed in the middle of the screen.
- Press the Volume Up and Volume Down buttons for around 5 seconds. Now while holding those two, press and release the Power button.
- Your device will now be booted into stock recovery mode, displaying Android System Recovery <3e> text at the top of the screen.
- Connect your device to the PC via USB cable.
- Use the volume keys to highlight apply update from ADB and select it using the Power key.
- Open the folder location on the PC where the OTA file was downloaded. Now inside that folder, press SHIFT key and right-click on an empty space. Select Open command window here from the pop-up menu that appears.
- Type in the following command to sideload the OTA:
adb sideload 8139a3b77162488d3bc058c378e28ff2ea22ae78.KOT49H.M004_5-KTU84P.M003_18.zip
- The process will take its required time, so hold your place with patience. Once done, select reboot system now from the recovery menu.
Your Moto G Google Play Edition will reboot into updated Android 4.4.4 KitKat ROM. Time to cherish the latest! Let us know how you feel about this update through comments.