The cheapest and strongest contender in its class, the Moto E is an Android-based smartphone by Motorola (a Google company) carrying a brilliant hardware configuration of 1.2 GHz Dual-Core Cortex-A7 processor, 1 GB RAM, Adreno 302 GPU, a 4.3” Gorilla Glass display, delivered with KitKat 4.4.2 out-of-the-box. Unfortunately, there is no news about the latest KitKat 4.4.4 landing on this device, at least not yet. But, there is nothing out of reach for developers at the XDA forums who have already bought the KitKat 4.4.4 taste to the device via a Custom ROM, this way we’re gonna update Moto E to KitKat 4.4.4.
Consistent hard work of cybojenix has bought SlimKat ROM based on KitKat 4.4.4 to your Moto E and is keeping it constantly updated with the Slim and AOSP sources, keeping you to the latest. The ROM is famous for its extent of customization, enormous features, software enhancements and much more. Further, a few major features of the SlimKat ROM are mentioned to give you an outlined of what you’re going to Install on your Moto E.
» The Real Dark Slim: Slim ROM’s UI enhancement which will turn your device theme to dark, completely, with just one click.
» Slim Recents: Completely overhauled Recents panel for a better multi-tasking experience.
» Shortcuts: You have shortcuts everywhere to access your personalized apps including the notification and lockscreen area.
» Quick Setting tiles: Modify what tiles you want, add, remove or even adjust the quantity.
» SlimPie: Its similar to Pie control, yet is different in several aspects.
» Camera enhancements: Camera app includes enormous number of mods and quality boosts.
Visit the SlimROMs website for more information.
Installing a Custom ROM, breaks your device warranty. Perform everything at your own risk, DroidViews or any of its community members shall not be held responsible for any damage to your device.
- Unlock bootloader and Install TWRP Recovery, do it easily using this guide.
- Install USB drivers: Click here
- Charge your Moto E to at least 60% battery life
- Backup your device completely, to be on a safe side.
- Enable USB debugging, here is a detailed guide on how to do it.
Update Moto E to KitKat 4.4.4 using SlimKat ROM
- Download Slimkat v1.0 Beta 6
- Kindly note that the above link may vanish when the build is updated, you can follow the updated link from this XDA thread.
- Download latest Slim Gapps and Add-ons (not necessary): Click here
- Connect your Moto E to the PC via USB cable.
- Transfer the ROM, GApps, Add-ons (if any) to a suitable location on your device storage.
- Now, open a CMD window and enter the following command to boot your E into recovery mode. You can also do it using physical buttons if you know the drill.
adb reboot recovery
- Tap on Wipe and check the boxes corresponding to the following and slide the button on the bottom of the screen.
- Move back to the main TWRP screen and tap on Install
- Browse to the location where you transfer all the zips and select the ROM zip file.
- Press on Add More Zips button and select the GApps zip. Furthermore, if you have any addons, follow the same step to add the Addons zip file.
- Slide the button at the bottom to start the flashing process, it will merely take a few minutes to complete.
- Once done, go to Reboot and tap on System to reboot your Moto E into the new and updated SlimKat ROM based on Android 4.4.4 KitKat.
Tell us how you are feeling while using the first ever Custom ROM for the Moto E. As per many users, the ROM is highly functional and way far from bugs. But, if you encounter any, feel free to report at the XDA thread. As always, we would love to see you over at comments.