Later last year, a company named OnePlus announced its first flagship device, the One. The OnePlus One was extremely hyped, and after its release, it was totally worth the wait. The OnePlus One packs beastly specifications at a highly affordable price bracket. Some of its highlights are that it is powered by the Snapdragon 801 chipset, with 3GB of RAM. Gamers, this device is the one which would suit your needs the best, as the OnePlus One sports the Adreno 330 as its GPU.
I myself have been using the OnePlus One for over a month, and I gotta say, it truly is a flagship Android device. The OnePlus One is so popular among advance Android users, as it comes loaded with CyanogenMod 11S, a Custom ROM out of the box. Cyanogen is known for the ability to customize almost about anything you like. The specialty of the OnePlus One is that it packs a ton of awesome CyanogenMod features, which don’t even require root.
But, Cyanogen had promised to release Android Lollipop (CM 12S) for the OnePlus One within 90 days of its initial release. The 90-days time period has already expired, and many of the fellow OnePlus One users gave hope. If you’re one of those people, and want to experience Android Lollipop on your OnePlus One, this guide is specifically made for you! In this article, we are going to review the best Custom ROMs for the OnePlus One which run on the latest Android Lollipop. Let us get right into it!
- A OnePlus One with unlocked bootloader.
- Your OnePlus One Must be rooted.
- A custom recovery installed (we recommend TWRP).
If you haven’t already rooted and flashed TWRP on your OnePlus One, follow this detailed guide:
Best Custom ROMs for OnePlus One
1. CyanogenMod 12 (Nightly)
You probably saw this one coming. For Android enthusiasts like us, there are two major players in the Android history. One being Google’s Stock Android itself, while the other one being CyanogenMod. CyanogenMod provides the user with near-stock experience, and is stacked up with a ton of amazing features. Google unveiled its latest and sweetest Android version later last year – Lollipop. Sure enough, we can now taste Lollipop on the OnePlus One using CyanogenMod 12! Note that this is just a nightly build. Even though it is a very stable ROM, we recommend to use a much more stabler ROM if you’re gonna use your OnePlus One as a daily driver.
The latest CM 12 is running Android 5.0.2 Lollipop to ensure that you get the best of the best. Unlike the other ROMs, CM 12 supports the gestures which were available in CM 11S for the OnePlus One. These include the Double Tap To Wake, and also the Music gestures. In the Display settings, you can enable the Ambient Display option to get a Motorola-like experience on your OnePlus One. Noteworthy features that come with CyanogenMod 12 are listed below:
- Ability to personalize the Status Bar.
- Options to configure Buttons. You can enable On-Screen buttons like before.
- Ability to edit the Power menu.
- Option to wake your device using the volume keys.
- Playback control with volume keys!
- Ability to add multiple profiles using the System Profiles menu.
- Much more of free RAM.
- Based on stock OnePlus One kernel.
- Change the Notification Lights.
- Change the Battery Lights.
- Color Enhancement option.
As you all know, the OnePlus One already comes with a custom version of CyanogenMod out of the box. So, using CM 12 will not be alien-like, and you will be able to learn almost about everything in no time. The best part about using CyanogenMod 12 is that you will be able to experience the latest Android Lollipop, meaning everything will be materialized! Also, CyanogenMod 12 Nightlies are updated almost every single day, so don’t expect the bugs to last for a long time!
To download the CyanogenMod 12 ROM for your OnePlus One, visit the official download page and install the latest version available!
2. BlissPop ROM
If you’re not a big fan of CyanogenMod, but want to experience Android 5.0 on your OnePlus One, BlissPop ROM suits your needs the best! With BlissPop, you get a fluid, and a blissful experience on your OnePlus One. Although BlissPop is based on CM 12, it provides the users with some of its unique and amazing features. With a ton of features to customize, BlissPop is an awesome ROM. So let us check out its best and notable features!
- Based on true Android 5.0, Lollipop.
- Clock and Date options.
- Ability to show seconds in the status bar.
- Battery Bar options.
- Traffic Monitor.
- Weather status available on the Status Bar.
- Clear All button available in the Recent Apps menu.
- Google Search bar enabled in the Recent Apps menu.
- Quick Pull down available.
- Gestures anywhere enables you to perform tasks even while in an app with a simple gesture.
- Amazing and beautiful Toast Animations adapted from Android Lollipop.
- Stock CM 11S features like Notification light, and Lockscreen shortcuts.
- Navigation Buttons.
BlissPop is a Custom ROM which will be updated regularly, just like CyanogenMod 12. If you think this ROM suits your needs the best, go forward and visit the link given below to download the ROM.
Download Link: BlissPop ROM
3. Resurrection Remix ROM
Resurrection Remix ROM is known for the many combinations of features that it provides in a single package. Resurrection Remix is based on CyanogenMod, Android Open Kang Project (AOKP), Paranoid Android, Omni, and the original Resurrection Remix ROM builds. This proves that Resurrection Remix ROM for OnePlus One will not only provide a stock-near experience to the user, but also a combination of a ton of features to choose from. We have tested this ROM, and all the notable features are down below :
- Enable / Disable Navigation Bar.
- Navigation Bar ring switch.
- Navigation Bar ring targets.
- Customization of Navigation Bar buttons.
- Brightness Slider on the Status Bar.
- Quick Pull down to view all the toggles.
- Clock customization to change its color, font, etc.
- Battery Bar customization.
- Rich and Fluid animations adapted from Lollipop.
- Gestures Anywhere available.
- Choose up to 5 shortcuts in your Lockscreen.
- CyanogenMod Audio FX Equalizer.
- And much more…
So, because Resurrection Remix is a ROM based off so many awesome features, performance and battery life will not be compromised. I played a few graphic-intense games on my OnePlus One using this ROM, and it sure does beats all the other ROMs on this list when it comes to performance! To get an awesome and fluid experience on your OnePlus One, click on the link below and download the ROM :
Download Link: Resurrection Remix ROM
So, in this article, we took a look at the best Custom ROMs for OnePlus One which run on the latest Android Lollipop. Note that all of these ROMs require you to flash Gapps in order to get the Play Store and other Google Apps. You can download GApps by clicking the following link:
GApps – Download
If you have any questions regarding this article, feel free to leave a comment below, we are always here to help!
If you finally want to install a Custom ROM on your OnePlus One, follow this detailed guide :