The rapid ingress of AOSP based Android 5.0 Lollipop ROMs is a clear indication of the lollipop-cravings among the Android fanboys. We have already seen the AOSP 5.0 ROM for the Nexus 4 which is pretty functional, so we assumed the other devices of the Nexus family and few devices from Samsung, HTC and Motorola would fall in line for the ROM updates. Surprisingly, the Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini gets the Lollipop based ROM faster than most of the big boys out there.
The Android Open Source Project 5.0 by NovaFusion has released this ROM and that too pretty early for an old device. But as you’d expect, it is more of bare bones than flesh. However, it’s pretty functional for those who want to try out the latest Android 5.0 on their device. Few basic features are functional like WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS and other sensors, but there are few critical features that are dead. You can get the list of things that aren’t working from below:
- RIL (phone/SMS/3G) doesn’t work [WIP]
- Audio (both speakers/headphones/microphone) doesn’t work at all
- GPS/Glonass doesn’t work
- This release doesn’t support f2fs yet, only ext4 file system. Remember to wipe data/cache partitions as ext4 before flashing this ROM!
- The camera doesn’t work at all
- Missing part of OMXes implementation (so there’s no fully HW video acceleration)
If you’re fine about the things that aren’t working and want to try the material awesomeness, grab the files from below and flash them using the guide below.
This guide is intended only for the Samsung Galaxy S3 mini with the model number I8190, not for any other device. Be extra cautious when you choose the ROMs as flashing wrong ones might result in a bricked device. You alone are responsible for any consequences that might occur during the process, we shall not be held responsible for any damage to your device.
Prepare Your Device
- Charge your device above 60% battery level to avoid shutdowns during the process.
- Backup your device storage, Contacts, SMS etc. using Google Sync service or any third-party app.
- Install CWM recovery: Follow this guide
Android 5.0 AOSP ROM: Download
Gapps Package: Follow this guide
Install Android 5.0 Lollipop ROM on Galaxy S3 Mini
- Download and transfer the files from the download section to the internal storage.
- Boot into Recovery mode by using the following fail-proof method:
- Turn off your Galaxy S3 mini.
- Press and hold Volume Up+Home+Power until you see the boot logo.
- Wipe the data and cache as ext4 before flashing the ROM. (This is important)
- Make a clean wipe of the device including cache, dalvik cache, and system partitions.
- Now install the ROM file from the Install menu. Check our zip flashing guide for reference → Click Here For Guide
- Similarly, flash the Gapps package.
- Reboot the device once everything flashed without any crazy errors.
The first boot might take a tad longer, so don’t panic even if you see the boot logo for around 10 minutes.
Share your experience with the ROM in the comments section below.