Sony is one such OEM who believes that a smartphone should be locked to its manufacturer. But hey! That’s not what we believe in, its a different, totally different perspective for developers at XDA who have always put up a great hand in unlocking the device so that a user may install and use the OS of his choice. Xperia Z2 Tablet is SONY’s released Android based tablet which was showcased lately during February 2014.
Xperia Z2 Tablet is an LTE tab running on Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 Quad-core 2.3 GHz Krait 400 processor, Adreno 330 GPU with a brilliant 10.1” HD display supporting Bravia Engine 2 and 3D surround sound. Its SONY’s first tablet to come with Android KitKat 4.4.2 out-of-the-box.
This guide will help you easily install CWM recovery and root Xperia Z2 tablet. All the credits to the famous DooMLoRD and Chainfire at the XDA-Developers whose work is being used here at this guide. Kindly consider supporting the developer by a decent amount of donation.
- Rooting voids your device warranty, which means no claim to the OEM despite of any damage. DroidViews or any of its community members shall not be responsible for any damage to your device.
- This guide is meant only and only for Xperia Z2 SGP51x Wi-Fi model only, do not attempt to try this on any other device or model.
- Install appropriate Sony drivers
- Backup your device completely
- Charge your device above 60% battery level
- Install Android SDK and setup ADB
- Enable USB Debugging
- Unlocked bootloader
Install CWM on Xperia Z2 Tablet
The recovery is being installed in the form of an insecure kernel.
- Download the flashable CWM recovery image and necessary adb and fastboot binaries.
- Extract the downloaded z2_tab_files.zip to the desktop. So now you have z2_tab_files folder on your desktop
- Open the extracted folder. Press SHIFT key and right-click on an empty space inside the folder and select Open Command Prompt Here from the popup menu.
- Connect the device to the PC via USB cable.
- Type in the following command to reboot your tab into bootloader/fastboot mode:
adb reboot bootloader
- Enter the following commands to flash the CWM recovery:
fastboot flash boot cwm-z2-tablet.img
- When done the device will reboot upon the entry of the last command.
You have successfully flashed CWM 22.214.171.124 recovery on your Xperia Z2 SGP51x. To enter the recovery mode, while the Sony logo appears on the screen and the LED turns pink/amber or orange, keep pressing the Volume Up key until you see the recovery screen.
Root Xperia Z2 Tablet
The procedure is actually quite simple. To root Xperia Z2 tablet, we’re going to flash Chainfire’s official SuperSU package via the recovery.
- Download the SuperSU flashable package [Click to Download]
- Connect your Z2 Tablet to the PC and transfer the downloaded zip file ‘UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.94.zip‘ to the Internal or External storage of your device.
- You can either enter into recovery by using adb command or by following the manual drill stated up.
- Open a Command prompt window and enter the following line and press ENTER.
adb reboot recovery
- Go to Install zip > choose zip from sdcard and select the UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.94.zip.
- Select Yes when prompted to start the flashing process
Once done, select reboot system now and your ROM shall be rooted. To verify that the process has been successful, install Root Checker app and run it.
You can now enjoy the latest custom ROMs or simply use your rooted ROM with other tweaks. Has this guide been a helping hand to root Xperia Z2 tablet? Consider posting your feedback via comments.