Xiaomi recently launched its latest flagship device Mi 9. The phone is getting popular already and if you own it and want to root your Mi 9, it’s possible. Now, you can unlock the bootloader on the Xiaomi Mi9 using Mi Unlock Tool easily. And it’s useless to mention that once you have unlocked it, you can easily flash TWRP recovery and root Xiaomi Mi 9. Follow our detailed step-by-step tutorial to root you Mi 9 safely.
As is the case with other devices, if you want to root this device and flash a custom recovery or ROM, you will first have to unlock its bootloader. Follow the below steps in order to do the same:
Unlocking the bootloader will void the warranty of your device. If you miss or don’t follow any of the steps in the mentioned order, you may end up bricking your device. neither the author nor DroidViews will be held responsible in such any case. Proceed only if you know what you are doing.
- Backup your complete data, as all of your data, including your internal storage, will be wiped out.
- Keep your phone charged at least 70-80% charged.
- Enable Developer options: Go to Settings and tap on Build Number 7 times.
- Under Developer Options, enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking.
- Rename the TWRP recovery that you would be downloading below to “recovery.img” and place it inside the “platform-tools” folder.
- Mi Unlock Tool (for unlocking bootloader)
- SDK Platform-Tools (for fastboot commands)
- Magisk (to root your device)
- TWRP (for flashing custom ROMs, mods, etc.)
- Force Encryption Disabler (to permanently install TWRP)
Steps to unlock Xiaomi Mi 9 Bootloader
In order to unlock the bootloader of Xiaomi Mi 9, follow the below steps:
- Open this link and tap on Unlock Now. Fill in the form regarding why you need to unlock the bootloader.
- Once applied, you will get an OTP, enter that OTP in the PC and click Next.
- Your Application has been successfully submitted. Now you need to wait for some days until you get a message of acceptance which says that you are eligible to unlock the bootloader.
- Install the Mi Unlock Tool on your PC.
For the Unlocking Part, follow the below steps:
- Enable USB Debugging and OEM unlocking.
- Now switch off the device, press Volume Down and Power button simultaneously to enter into the Fastboot Mode.
- Connect your phone to laptop via USB.
- Open Mi Unlock Tool, click on Agree and sign in with your Mi ID and password.
- Click Next and then the Unlock button.
- After the process is completed successfully, reboot your device.
That’s it. You have successfully unlocked the bootloader of Xiaomi Mi 9.
After unlocking the bootloader, you need to root Xiaomi Mi 9 in order to flash various mods, ROMs, apps, etc.
Steps to Root Xiaomi Mi 9 and Install TWRP
Having unlocked the bootloader on your Xiaomi Mi 9, let’s root it and flash the TWRP recovery on it.
- Connect your phone to PC via USB.
- Open Platform-Tools folder, type “cmd’ in the folder window address bar to launch a command prompt and type:
adb reboot bootloader
- Your device will reboot to the Fastboot mode. Now type:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- With the above code, recovery would be flashed onto your device. Now to reboot the device, type:
- Starting from Android Pie, TWRP encrypts the internal storage of your device. therefore in order to decrypt it, format the data partition via TWRP.
- Also, in order to permanently keep TWRP installed and make sure the stock recovery does not overwrite it, flash Force Encryption Disabler via TWRP.
- Finally, to get root privileges, you need to flash the Magisk.zip file.
Note: For flashing any file via TWRP, you need to go to Install, select that file and them swipe to confirm flash.
That’s it! You have successfully unlocked and rooted your Xiaomi Mi 9 device. Have any query or didn’t understand any part? Feel free to drop your doubts in the comment section below.