Why to Root?
Android rooting is the process of providing administrative access to your device. With rooting your phone you open yourself to a whole new world of Android customization and modding. There are plenty of things that you can perform with a rooted device that you may perform with a rooted device. Here are few of them:
- Increase Performance and Battery backup: With a rooted phone you can overclock your processor to boost performance. Also, a phone can be underclocked to save some juice of your battery.
- Uninstalling Bloatware: Well this was the reason, I rooted my Android phone. I am sure there has been a time you were wondering why am I unable to remove few system apps that I never use. Well with a rooted device you gain permission to uninstall them and free up some of your phone’s memory.
- Custom ROMs: Another reason to root your phone is the ability to install custom Android OS or custom ROMs. With stock Android installed on your device, you are laid upon a User Interface(UI) you might not like or might want to customize it, well that’s what custom ROMs make it happen.
- Ad Blocking: On a rooted device you can install Ad-Blocking applications to get rid of those annoying pop-ups and video ads.
If you have managed to reach here, I am sure you are excited to root your phone and probably wondering how to do it. Well if you own Xperia Z2 or Xperia Z3 you are in luck cause here is probably the simplest guide to root your device without using a PC.
Rooting an Android device can fairly easy or very cumbersome. It’s fairly easy to root Nexus devices, but sometimes it becomes very hard to root a non-Nexus device like the Xperia devices, especially with devices that have locked Bootloaders. But here’s a simple guide to your rescue, which can be used to root your Xperia devices even when you have a locked bootloader.
Xperia Z3 and Z2 recently received the Android Lollipop 5.0.2 update. The update came with several bug fixes and software optimizations.The given guide helps both those who own Xperia Z2 or Z3 on Lollipop 5.0.2 with Build Number 23.1.A.28 with locked and unlocked bootloaders.
Root Sony Xperia Z2 and Z3
- Download the package (XperiaRoot_ALP.zip) and extract the zip file. A folder named XperiaRoot will appear.
- Open the folder you will see ALP folder containing following files:
- Move the files to your phone’s memory.
- Go to Settings > Securities and check the option to install applications from Unknown sources.
- Then Install Root.apk. Open it and tap on ‘Root’ button, wait for it to root your device.
- Then Install Busybox.apk and Recovery.apk.
- Open the installed Recovery app and tap on ‘Install Recovery’.
- Boot into Recovery mode: Power off your device and press Power on the button, then press the Volume Up or Down buttons couple of times.
- Now in the Recovery, select Install and find the SuperSU.zip.
- Reboot your phone.You will see SuperSU app in App drawer, check root access by using any Root checker available on the Play Store.
Congrats, now you have successfully rooted your Xperia Z3 or Z2 on Android Lollipop 5.0.2. Go ahead and enjoy the new world of Android customization.