The Android market has become a lot more competitive in the last couple of years than it ever was. There are a lot of new players in the market who are offering quality smartphones at cheaper price tags. Lenovo is one of the manufacturers who has gained popularity recently with its affordable Android smartphones. The Vibe K5 & K5 Plus are some of the popular smartphones from Lenovo. But what good are Android devices if they aren’t rooted? Luckily, the Vibe K5 devices are pretty easy to root. So, let’s see how to root Lenovo Vibe K5 and K5 Plus.
The easiest way to root Lenovo Vibe K5, K5 Plus and Lemon 3 is to install TWRP recovery and flash SuperSU to gain root access. Moreover, a custom recovery like TWRP will help you install custom ROMs and mods. Thanks to XDA developer Shreps, you can install the latest TWRP 220.127.116.11 on your device. This TWRP build is confirmed working on Vibe K5, K5 Plus, and Lemon 3 devices. You can see the list of supported devices from below.
- A6020a40 (S415)
- A6020a40 (S616 H39)
- A6020a46 (2GB RAM)
- A6020a46 (3GB RAM)
- K32C36 (Lemon 3)
If you see your device listed above, you can proceed with the below tutorial to install TWRP and root your device.
- Go to Settings » About phone » Build number and tap it 7 times to enable Developer options on your Google Pixel. Then go back to Settings » Developer options and enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking (if available).
- Install devices drivers for Lenovo smartphones on your device. You can download it from here.
- Download the Minimal ADB and Fasboot Setup and install it on your computer.
- Take a backup of important files on your device as a precautionary measure.
- Make sure you have enough charge on your device before starting the process.
Install TWRP Recovery and Root Lenovo Vibe K5, K5 Plus and Lemon 3
- Download the latest TWRP image from the downloads section.
- Rename the downloaded TWRP image to recovery.img (for your convenience) and place it in the same folder where you have extracted the ADB & Fastboot files.
- Download the SuperSU ZIP and transfer it to your device’s storage.
- Navigate to the folder where you’ve extracted the ADB & Fastboot files and open a command prompt by pressing Shift + Right click on any empty space inside the folder and select Open command window here from the context menu.
- Connect your device to PC using a USB cable and boot into the bootloader mode using the below command:
adb reboot bootloader
- In the bootloader mode, type the below command to check if the device is detected.
If your device is detected, you should see a serial number as output.
- Now, type the following command to flash the TWRP image to your device.
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- Once the flashing is finished, use the below command to reboot the device.
- Now, reboot the device into recovery mode. To do this, use the below command in command prompt.
adb reboot recovery
- In TWRP menu, select Install » SuperSU Zip file that we have transferred earlier.
- Reboot the device from TWRP main menu once the flashing is completed.
That’s it. You’ve successfully installed TWRP recovery and rooted your device.