Android 5.0 Lollipop update is the most awaited update of the year which brings a major changeover to the Android ecosystem. Google brought a major overhaul in terms of design, thanks to the vivid material design which looks stunningly awesome on smartphones. Apart from the beautiful design language, the Android Lollipop brings major improvements in terms of security and other features. The Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900L got the stock Lollipop firmware which updates the device to the latest Lollipop OS. If by any chance you’ve not yet updated to the Android 5.0, follow the below link for the firmware download and installation guide.
The Android 5.0 Lollipop is the Google’s new take on mobile operating systems and it would be a great experience to join the lollipop family. However, upgrading to a new version of Android strips the root permissions and custom recovery on your device and it’s very hard to live without them these days. Thanks to the crazy developers out there, we already got the rooting guide and the CWM recovery for the Galaxy S5 SM-G900L. Rooting on Android Lollipop is one of the challenges these days, thanks to multitude of changes in the new OS but you can install the latest SuperSU binaries using the recovery along with a patch. Fortunately, we also have the CWM V184.108.40.206 available with us to root the device by flashing the required files. So, without any further ado let’s jump to the tinkering business.
This method is only meant for the Samsung Galaxy S5 with the model number SM-G900L, don’t try this on any other device which leads to a bricked device. Rooting and installing a custom recovery will not only void your phone’s warranty, but might also lead to unprecedented risks such as bootloops, soft/hard bricks. You are solely responsible for any misfortunes, we are not responsible for any damages occurred during the process.
CWM recovery file: Download Link
SphinX-Root: Download Link
Stock Kernel: Download Link
SuperSu zip: Download Link
- Enable USB Debugging on your device. If you don’t know how to do so, read this guide.
- Download and install the latest Samsung USB Drivers if you do not have it installed already.
- Backup your phone’s apps and data as precaution.
Installing TWRP Recovery on Galaxy S5
The CWM recovery file comes in an Odin flashable file (.tar), so you can easily flash it using the Odin flashing tool. If you’re not sure on how to flash the recovery file using the Odin tool, follow our simple guide regarding the same from the link below. The below guide is for installing TWRP on Galaxy S5, but it doesn’t matter as the flashing instructions are similar.
Root Galaxy S5 SM-G900L on Android 5.0 Lollipop
Now that you have a working CWM recovery on your Galaxy S5, it’s a piece of cake to have the root permissions. Follow the below instructions to attain root access on your device.
- Download and copy the SphinX-Root, stock kernel and the SuperSU zip to the internal memory of your device.
- Boot your Galaxy S5 into recovery mode:
- Power off your device.
- Press and hold Volume Up + Home + Power buttons together until you see the Galaxy S5 logo on your screen.
- This will boot your device into the recovery mode.
- Flash the SphinX-Root file from the recovery menu. If you’re dubious about flashing, follow our zip flashing guide from here.
- Now flash the SuperSU zip after flashing the SphinX-Root file.
- Reboot the device and verify whether the SuperSU is working.
- If the SuperSU is not working on your device, boot to the recovery mode again and flash the stock kernel. Reboot the device once again and verify the root permissions.
- If you’re really unlucky and the root doesn’t work for you still, repeat the rooting process once again.
That’s it. If you’ve successfully rooted the device without any issues, you should see the latest SuperSU app in the app drawer.