The Galaxy Grand was originally made to target developing markets where people want features like big screens and dual-SIM capability at lower prices. The original version of the devices received warmly and now Samsung has launched the successor of the device. The Galaxy Grand 2 shows significant improvements over its predecessor but it is still infected with the same disease, namely lag and slow performance.
Anyway, if you own the Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 SM-G7102 and want to improve its overall performance by doing some custom modification and installing mods and ROMs, you will have to root your phone and install a custom recovery first. Since activities like rooting and installing a custom recovery involves risk, you might be looking for a step-by-step tutorial to get things done safely.
So here it is! Below we’ll see how we can root Galaxy Grand 2 SM-G7102 and install TWRP or CWM recovery on it. While we’ll achieve root access using Chainfire’s CF-Auto-Root, the CWM/TWRP recovery available for the device is unofficial but fully-functional ports.
The rooting procedure described below is considered risky. It has been tested successfully but we we not hold any responsibility for its outcomes. Follow the tutorial at your own risk and only if you understand the implications of what you are doing.
Before you proceed, there are a few files to be gathered and things to be done to ensure successful installation of CF-Root and the custom recovery of your choice.
- Download Odin tool and extract the Zip file: Odin v3.07.zip
- Download CF-Auto-Root package and extract the Zip: CF-Auto-Root-ms013g-ms013gxx-smg7102.zip
- If you also want to install a custom recovery, download the CWM or TWRP recovery .tar.md5 file from below. All custom recoveries are unofficial builds but compatible with Android 4.4.2 KitKat. If you do not want recovery, just skip this step.
- CWM Recovery
- TWRP Recovery
- Download and install Samsung USB drivers: Download
- Enable USB debugging on your Galaxy Grand 2. Open Settings> About and tap Build number 7 times. Go back to Settings> Developer options and turn on USB debugging.
- Make sure your device is amply charged.
Root Galaxy Grand 2 SM-G7102
Having made the preparations mentioned above, you can now proceed to root your Galaxy Grand 2. Just follow the steps given below:
- Open Odin folder and launch Odin 3.07.
- Turn off your Grand 2 and boot it into Download Mode. You can do it by pressing and holding the Volume Down + Home + Power buttons at the same time for 2-3 seconds. When you see the warning screen with a yellow exclamation mark, press Volume Up key.
- Connect your phone to the computer the USB cable provided with your device.
- If the ID:COM port on Odin turns light blue and “Added!” appears in the message box, your device is connected properly. If you do not see any sign of connection, reinstall the drivers, reboot PC and device and try again.
- Now click the PDA button on Odin and select CF-Auto-Root-ms013g-ms013gxx-smg7102.tar.md5.
- Make sure that only Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options are selected on Odin and then click the Start button.
- Wait till CF-Auto-Root package is flashed to your device.
- You will see PASS! message and your phone will reboot automatically at the completion of installation.
- You can now disconnect the USB cable and wait till the device boots up.
Install Root Checker app from the Play Store and run it to verify proper root access.
Install TWRP/ CWM Recovery on Galaxy Grand 2
By now you should already have a rooted Grand 2 on which you can enjoy root apps and Xposed Framework and its modules. However, if you also intend to install custom ROMs, mods and create ROM backups, you should install a custom recovery too. Here’s how you can do it. The procedure of installing the recovery is the same as rooting the device.
- Launch Odin tool.
- Put your phone in the Download Mode and connect it to PC.
- Click PDA and select the recovery file with .tar.md5 extension.
- Then click Start button to initiate installation.
- Wait till the custom recovery is installed and your phone reboots.
Done! You should now have CWM or TWRP recovery installed on your Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 SM-G7102. To boot your phone in recovery mode, press Volume Up + Home + Power buttons together for 3-4 seconds.