When you delete emails, they usually go to a trash folder from where you can recover them again. This is nothing specific to Gmail but is a feature on almost every email service. What if you’ve deleted them from the trash/bin too? Once an email is deleted from the trash, it’s gone forever, which is why it is called a permanent delete. But Google stores your deleted emails on its servers for some time even after the trash is cleared. This is probably not to spy on you, but in any case, is very helpful if you want to recover permanently deleted emails in Gmail.
A lot of people have faced such a scenario. But it is also possible (very rare but possible) that due to a technical fault at your end or Google’s, all or some of the emails in your inbox have been deleted or have disappeared. Or that you can’t find a particular email or are missing a few of them. In any such case, you can request the Gmail Support Team to recover the deleted emails and messages of your Gmail account.
Recover Permanently Deleted Emails in Gmail
- Go to the missing emails support page.
- Fill up the form with correct details. For instance, email address of the account of which you want to recover emails and messages.
- Mention the date when you first noticed that your emails have gone missing.
- Add a brief description of the problem and steps to reproduce the problem. You just need to briefly explain what happened, here. For example, whether you deleted emails from your inbox and from Trash as well or you did not intentionally delete emails but somehow they have disappeared.
- When the form is filled up, click Submit.
Soon you will receive an email from [email protected]. This happens within half an hour usually but it may take abut an hour as well. This email will tell you whether the support team was successful in recovering your emails or not. This is an automated email so don’t reply it. If your email recovery request was successful, you will begin to see your lost emails in your inbox. It is also possible that you receive an email with an unable to recover sort of reply.
It is unclear for how long Google stores these emails. Some people have successfully recovered all permanently lost emails of one whole year while some have not been as successful. There’s a good chance that if you have manually cleared your trash folder, you may never get your emails back. However, if your emails were deleted automatically after being in the trash folder for 30 days, there’s also a good chance that you can recover them. This isn’t a rule set in rock, however, so there’s no harm in trying.
Also read: Tips to Send and Request Payments with Gmail