The Grand 2 is the successor to the previously released Galaxy Grand. It covers up several reported drawbacks of the Galaxy Grand and brings an all-round better hardware configuration, which includes Snapdragon 400 1.2 GHz Cortex-A7 CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, 8GB internal storage, Adreno 305 GPU, 5.25 inches capacitive touch display and an 8MP highly responsive camera for beautiful imaging.
Well, mostly everyone here prefers all things root. Quoting the same, today we’re here to assist you to root Galaxy Grand 2 SM-G7102 and Install Custom Recovery like TWRP/CWM on it. CWM and TWRP, both of these recoveries have been made available for this device unofficially by XDA members shabbypenguin and balliboxer, respectively. On the other side, rooting is done via Chainfire’s Auto-Root package, flashing it via the Odin flashing tool.
Rooting and Installing Custom Recoveries will break your device’s warranty. Understand the risk and proceed thereafter. DroidViews or its community members shall not be liable for any kind of damage to your device.
- Charge your Grand 2 to at least 60% battery level, this would avoid any sudden shutdowns during the process hence risking your device.
- USB data cable delivered with the device. It is considered to be more relevant and successful.
- Backup your Grand 2 completely. This includes device storage, SMS, contacts, calendars, etc.
- Install Appropriate Samsung drivers: Click here
- Enable USB debugging: Click here
- Download the CF-Auto-Root package for the Grand 2 and extract it: CF-Auto-Root-ms013g-ms013gxx-smg7102.zip
- Download TWRP recovery Odin flash-able package: twrp_ms013g-build2.tar
- Download CWM recovery Odin flash-able package: CWM-220.127.116.11-ms103g-Beta.tar
Steps to Root Galaxy Grand 2 and Install TWRP/CWM
- Open the extracted folder and double-click on Odin3-v3.07.exe to start the Odin flasher program.
- Check the Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time boxes, if not already checked.
- Make sure every other box is unchecked.
- Power off your Grand 2.
- Press the Volume Down, Home and Power buttons altogether until the device boots up and shows a warning screen.
- You will now be asked to press a required button. Do so, by performing this action you are agreeing to the risks.
- Your device will now be in Download Mode, connect it to the PC.
- The ID:COM box on the top-left of the Odin program will display an ID upon successful connection.
- If it doesn’t, then you haven’t installed the drivers properly. Re-install the drivers and make sure to reboot your PC.
- Click on the PDA tab. Browse and select the CF-Auto-Root-ms013g-ms013gxx-smg7102.tar.md5 file.
- Click the Start button to initiate the flashing procedure. It will take the required time, which is merely a minute.
- Its time to flash the recovery, put your Grand 2 into Download Mode, again.
- Click on the PDA button. Browse and select twrp_ms013g-build2.tar for TWRP or CWM-18.104.22.168-ms103g-Beta.tar for CWM.
- A PASS!! message will be displayed when the process is complete.
Upon finishing, the device will be rooted having a Custom Recovery installed and shall reboot itself into the rooted firmware. You can now run apps that require root permissions or Install a Custom ROM or Kernel. Congratulations, you now have your Galaxy Grand 2 SM-G7102 completely custom.
To confirm whether the rooting procedure has been successful, install Root Checker app from the Play Store and run it.