We recently shared with you the method to install Marshmallow update on your Galaxy S6 Edge Plus. If you missed it and haven’t upgraded your device to latest firmware head over to this article and install the update on your device. If you are already on Marshmallow firmware you must be waiting for a rooting guide as upgrading your device will incur in loss of root access. Well, this guide will help you root your Galaxy S6 Edge Plus running Marshmallow.
To get root access on your Galaxy S6 edge Plus you will have to install a custom kernel that will support rooting. In the following guide, we will install Skyhigh Kernel developed by Xda senior member UpInTheAir. We will also install TWRP custom recovery which would be used to flash SuperSU zip file and the aforementioned kernel that will help us obtain root on the device.
WARNING: Any harm to your device would be your responsibility only developer or Droidviews should not be held responsible for bricked devices. Do note that your Knox counter would be tripped while performing steps mentioned below, so proceed at your own will.
Things You Will Need
- Galaxy S6 Edge Plus (G928C/F/I/G/C7) and a PC
- Skyhigh Kernel: Link
- TWRP: Link
- Odin: Link
- SuperSUv2.68: Link
Steps To Follow
- If you have previously attempted ANY other root method, then please flash fresh firmware (wipe system, data, cache, Dalvik-cache).
- Enable OEM unlock by going into Settings application > Developer Options > OEM Unlock is enabled. (You would need to enable developer options by tapping Build Number in the About Phone of your Settings app multiple times).
- Download and move the kernel and SuperSU zip files to your device’s storage.
- Now boot your device into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down + Home + Power buttons for few seconds.
- Download Odin v3.10.7 from the link given above.
- Extract Odin ZIP file on your PC.
- Open Odin v3.10.7.exe.
- Connect your phone to your PC, once it has booted into Download mode and wait until you get a blue sign in Odin and an Added message in the log tab of Odin.
- Download the twrp-3.0.0-0-nobleltezt recovery from the link given above. (YES – This recovery will work with Marshmallow bootloader)
- Uncheck the Auto Reboot option in Odin.
- Add the twrp-3.0.0-0-nobleltezt-nobleltezt.img.tar file to AP/PDA in Odin.
- Now click Start button to begin the installation.
- When TWRP is flashed, turn off the device by holding the Volume Down + Power buttons simultaneously for about 5-10 seconds.
- Now boot your device into custom recovery by pressing and holding Volume Up + Home + Power buttons for few seconds.
- To obtain root flash [BETA][2016.02.28] SuperSU v2.68 in TWRP. Tap on Install button in TWRP, then browse for the SuperSU file and swipe to install it.
- Do not reboot your device now. First flash SkyHigh_kernel.zip in a similar manner as described in the previous step.
- Now reboot your device. You may get one boot-loop directly after flashing kernel. This is normal.
To check that you have successfully rooted your Galaxy S6 Edge Plus you may install Root Checker application from the link given below and confirm the root access.You may also install Synapse from Google Play store and remove Knox using it.
Enjoy root access on your Galaxy S6 Edge Plus on Marshmallow firmware. Let us know if you have any queries regarding the installation procedure in the comments section below.