TeamWin hasn’t extended the official TWRP support to the Sprint Galaxy S6 yet, although you can try out the official TWRP recovery for Sprint Galaxy S6 codenamed ‘zerofltespr.’ However, this little adventure might get you in troubles, so we have a better alternative for you. Soooperstar of XDA has shared a Chinese built TWRP which was confirmed working by many Sprint Galaxy S6 Edge users in the XDA forums. At first look, you might get spooked with all the gibberish Chinese language all over the place but we do have a simple workaround to change the language to English.
Additionally, in this post we will show you how to root your Sprint Galaxy S6 Edge SM-G925P using either the CF-Auto-Root firmware or the SuperSU zip which can be flashed from the installed TWRP. Rooting allows you to perform advanced customizations and tweaks which might improve the performance of the device and bring new life to it with beautiful custom ROMs and mods. So, without any further ado, let’s get our hands dirty with the flashing business.
This Guide is intended only for the Sprint Galaxy S6 Edge, not for any other variant or device of Samsung. Be extra cautious when you choose the firmware builds as flashing wrong firmwares might result in a bricked device. You alone are responsible for any consequences that might occur during the process, we shall not be held responsible for any damage to your device.
Prepare Your Device
- Charge your Galaxy S6 Edge above 60% battery level to avoid shutdowns during the process.
- Enable USB Debugging: Link
- Install Required USB Drivers: Link
- Backup your device storage, Contacts, SMS etc. using Google Sync service or any third-party app.
- Download the Odin flashing tool and extract the downloaded zip to your PC, so now you have Odin3.10.6 folder: Odin3_v3.10.6.zip
Install TWRP Recovery on Sprint Galaxy S6 Edge & Root it
- Download the TWRP recovery: G9250-TWRP-220.127.116.11-CN(0421).zip
- Extract the recovery.tar file from the zip file to the folder where you’ve extracted the Odin files.
- Double-click Odin3-v3.10.6.exe to launch the program.
- Connect your phone to the PC using the USB cable and make sure the device is detected by the PC.
- Boot into the download mode. To do this:
- Power off your phone first.
- Press and hold Volume Down + Power + Home together until you see Warning screen with Android logo.
- Press Volume Up to acknowledge the warning and boot into download mode
- In Odin, click AP button and select the recovery.tar file.
- Make sure Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time check boxes are enabled in Odin. Do not select the Re-Partition option in this case.
- Finally, hit the start button and wait until the firmware is flashed. Once completed, the device will reboot automatically.
As we already mentioned, the TWRP recovery will be in Chinese language, so grab the TWRP theme compatible to the recovery version and follow the below guide to install → Link for themes
Now, let’s proceed to root your device. Now that we have a working TWRP on your Sprint Galaxy S6 Edge, you can simply flash the SuperSU zip to root your device. Follow the simple instructions to root your device:
- Download the latest version of the SuperSU from the Chainfire’s website and transfer it to the internal storage of the device: Click here to Download
- Boot into the recovery mode. To do this:
- Power off your phone first.
- Press and hold Volume Up + Power + Home together until you see Warning screen with Android logo.
- In the TWRP menu, tap the Install button and flash the SuperSU zip from the internal storage.
- Reboot the system once the flashing is complete.
If you wish to wait until the official TWRP rolls out, you can just root the Sprint Galaxy S6 Edge using the CF-Auto-Root firmware. Follow the below link to root your device with the CF-Auto-Root firmware:
That’s it folks, let us know of any issues in the comments section below.